ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating vector from AI to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arie-Jan Vennik
creating vector from AI to AE
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:28:46 am

Hello all,

This is my first post on creative Cow. I'm a fairly newbie to using the adobe package, and I have encountered a problem which I can't seem to solve.

I got three images that I would like to convert to vector, so I can use them in AE (I need to zoom in on them without losing quality). I tried live trace (using all sorts of formats) in AI, saving it as an .AI.
The edges were strait and they looked good. When I zoomed they remained sharp. After importing into AE, the images looked pixelated and got blurry when I zoomed in.

I tried all the advice that I read in many fora, including the ones on Adobe and creative cow, but nothing seemed to work. Even using Vector Magic did not give me the required result. After many days searching and trying I'm at a complete loss and I have only so much hair left to pull from my skull :-s.
Does anyone have any advice? Please, you would greatly help.
If need be I can post the files I need vectorized in any format for you to have a look at.

kind regards,
Arie-Jan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: creating vector from AI to AE
on Apr 18, 2012 at 1:33:25 pm

In adobe you need to enable the Continuously rasterize checkbox, it looks like a little sun. If you don't see it, click your composition timeline and press F and it your "switches" column should come up.

Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Arie-Jan Vennik
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:08:24 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for the advice. I have already tried that, and in some cases the result got a little better, but not good by far.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:39:56 pm

If you don't mind, use the "collect files" command, zip the project and post here. If it's really huge, make a small project showing the problem and I'll take a look and see where/if/what the problem might be.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Arie-Jan Vennik
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:45:52 pm

Hi John, here are the files:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/334/3997#3998 .
Had to figure out how to post the zip ,so it took me a while :-s
Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Arie-Jan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:47:08 pm

What you posted was the project, but not the footage. The project has the jpg and png files(missing) in a comp, but no .ai files. Put the problem .ai files in the project and put them in a comp where they don't work properly so I(or someone else) can see what the problem might be.

No worries, we'll figure it out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Arie-Jan Vennik
on Apr 20, 2012 at 2:11:55 am

Oops, will do as soon as possible, although it might not be until sunday. I have 2 days of long working hours and little sleep ahead of me.
Thanks for the time and patience (have a good weekend)

Return to posts index

Arie-Jan Vennik
on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:33:02 am

Hi John,

I am ashamed to say that I figured it out. And by ashamed I mean that I think I made a typical rookie mistake. When I used the continuously rasterize switch, I thought that I got to see sharpness when I zoomed in using the magnification popup :-S. But that way it stayed blurry.
I just created a brand new comp with the AI files for the post here, used the continuously rasterize switch, and the files stayed sharp. Right now I'm very mad at myself for not realizing this earlier, and for taking up some of your time. Trying so many things, I lost track of what I had done, so I guess starting over from scratch for this comp was the best thing to do. I have learned something and want to thank you for the advice. Otherwise I wouldn't have started over again.
Finally I can get to making some progress.

John, thanks a lot and have a good weekend :-).
Greetings Arie-Jan

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 22, 2012 at 7:30:08 pm

Hey, no worries. I've been doing this for 12 years now and I still make rookie mistakes, it happens to all of us.

Glad you worked it out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]