ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Physical Time Clock

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint SelfAfter Effects Physical Time Clock
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:53:59 pm

I am looking for something to help me use After Effects. I'm not even sure if this is something that is available, but just hear me out!

I use After Effects frequently at my job. Every video that I make is time-limited, so I am constantly watching the time below the viewer to see where I'm at. I have bad vision, so it would be awesome to have a big time display to show me where I'm at in my timeline at all times. It would be best if this could be a physical device, maybe connected by USB or Bluetooth, that I could place underneath my monitors.

Someone please tell me if this is available or if I'm just dreaming!

Just for reference, I'm on a 27" iMac, running Mac OS 10.7.3, with 8GB RAM, and a 512MB ATI HD 4850 video card.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects Physical Time Clock
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:05:12 pm

I don't know of any devices you could use, but you could put a text layer in your video, twirl open the text, "alt + click" the Source Text and put the following expression:

timeToTimecode(t = time + thisComp.displayStartTime, timecodeBase = 30, isDuration = false)

When you are creating the expressions if you click the arrow and check the global headings, you can choose from multiple time code formats.

That would put a timecode display in your window. You could even right click it and make it a guide layer and don't even have to worry about turning it off when you render.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved