ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

upgrade CS and delete previous versions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Coleupgrade CS and delete previous versions
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 1:57:26 pm

On my MacBook, hard drive space is at a premium. I would like to upgrade from CS4 to CS5.5 Production Premium, and I may have to delete the previous versions (CS3 and CS4) in order to have enough room for the new ones.

I don't want to delete anything that I might regret, so do you have any recommendations as to how to proceed? I don't have a huge investment in add-ons, but I'd like to minimize any problems.

Do I need to retain any CS4 files on the laptop in order for an upgrade to work?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: upgrade CS and delete previous versions
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:31:05 pm

It's a shame you don't have the drive space to keep all three.

Do you ever have the need to create video in strange resolutions, like a 1783x1003 mpeg2? Are you heavily invested in third-party plugins?

If yes, you'll want to retain CS4 at least for a while. If no, it too can go. 5.5 can't make off-the-wall resolutions. It's also exclusively 64-bit, and you'd need the 64-bit versions of third-party plugins. There's an Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner utility you can download to remove all vestiges of the various applications prior to CS 5.5 installation.

If you also contemplate an OS upgrade at the same time, it's essential to do a clean install to minimize problems later. Also, don't install QTX; go with the most current version of QT7.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved