ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

It's not possible to enable and disable effects during the duration of a composition is it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Smith
It's not possible to enable and disable effects during the duration of a composition is it?
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:13:54 pm

I once had tried to render a video with the fractal effect but then realized that even though I didn't automate the parameters (dawspeak) and that layer's visibility wasn't throughout the entire video, it was slowing down the rendering immensely anyways.

So, I was wondering if it is possible to automate the enabling and disabling of effects so that the other effects which are probably also ineffeciently computed could be made more efficient through manual control.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: It's not possible to enable and disable effects during the duration of a composition is it?
on Apr 2, 2012 at 11:13:41 am

If you don't need a layer, trim it. IE, if the composition is 15 seconds but you only need fractal noise for five seconds trim the layer so that it's length is 5 seconds. You can set your in and out points of the layer by using "Alt + [" and "Alt + ]" .

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael Smith
Re: It's not possible to enable and disable effects during the duration of a composition is it?
on Apr 2, 2012 at 8:31:53 pm

I have tested trimming the composition and it took the 42 seconds to render a 60 second clip with 10 seconds of fractal and nothing else, and it took 40 seconds to render a 60 second clip with around 35 seconds of fractal. I did test changing the magnification with a default keyframe, one amplitude keyframe, and another default keyframe at the end, all connected by linear magnification changes, and this render would have taken 3 minutes. So, while it does take longer to render a change, trimming doesn't affect the time to render and it seems like after effects doesn't even have a detector for the simple and obvious case of "this frame is gonna be the same for this entire duration, let's just keep putting the frame into the hard disk from memory/cache/registers and only do that".

Also, I still don't know whether it is possible to enable and disable effects. I guess that it isn't though, and I really wonder why these shortcomings should even be happening in a program that has thousands of hours of professional coding done on it.

Yeah so can someone recommend a different program? Preferably one that still has expressions, but which renders quickly, and that can also record audio tracks while playing back video and compensate for latency?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:44:07 am

[Michael Smith] So, while it does take longer to render a change, trimming doesn't affect the time to render and it seems like after effects doesn't even have a detector for the simple and obvious case of "this frame is gonna be the same for this entire duration, let's just keep putting the frame into the hard disk from memory/cache/registers and only do that".

Enable disk caching from the preferences

Also, I still don't know whether it is possible to enable and disable effects. I guess that it isn't though, and I really wonder why these shortcomings should even be happening in a program that has thousands of hours of professional coding done on it.

AE doesn't render what it doesn't see. Do you have any other effects/DVE changes going on?

Yeah so can someone recommend a different program? Preferably one that still has expressions, but which renders quickly, and that can also record audio tracks while playing back video and compensate for latency?"

That doesn't exist I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:12:35 pm

I believe your computer is fast enough that rendering fractal noise by itself takes the same as rendering a frame of black.

If you were to use more complex effects that tax the system a lot more, say Optical Lens Flares, Mettle Shape Shifter, Free Form or some complicated particle systems, you would find that turning the layer off greatly increases speed.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]