ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Create Backlight Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle GochenourCreate Backlight Effect
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:54:19 pm

I'm pretty new to After Effects and I'm trying to create an opening sequence for a video I'm working on.

I am trying to use a logo a friend made in Illustrator that has light shine through the logo in a left to right fashion. I believe the effect is called the "backlight effect" and is pretty overused but it fits our needs perfectly for our video. I have searched Google but more often than not I ended up back here, but also not knowing the exact name has precluded some of my Google searching.

Anyways more details. The Illustrator logo is a simple one color design. There is a lot of transparent space in the logo but I only want light coming through the actual filled with color parts of the logo, not the blank open transparent space.

My first guess was to import the Illustrator file to AE and then add a light layer and push it far back on the Z axis. Which I did but now I'm like "now what?".

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if I have not explained anything properly let me know and Ill do my best to rephrase.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Create Backlight Effect
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:09:44 pm

Trapcode makes a product called Shine that will do what you want. But if buying new plugins is out of the question, check out this thread. Angie and I come up with a couple of ways of approaching the project, and I even uploaded a sample project that might help you out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kyle GochenourRe: Create Backlight Effect
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:09:23 pm

As it turns out the computer I have access to that has After Efects installed also has a Trapcode Shine installed.
I did watch Angie's tutorial though for good measure. But I guess Im missing something. Because when I apply Shine it does this. Note also how its constrained to that box which is the size of the vector graphic from Illustrator. Why does it look hazy and not well defined?

Part of the Illustrator image imported into AE:

What the full Illustrator image looks like with Shine On:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved