ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Comp length 1 sec 10 frames sequence of Photoshop layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eri KossusComp length 1 sec 10 frames sequence of Photoshop layers
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 7:20:13 am

I have problems making a 1sec long comp out of PS file with 10 layers. However I import the PS file AE CS5 makes every layer x frames length(I can set this number fine) BUT since my AE is based on25fps it makes these frames x/25 length. That however will not allow me greate a comp 1sec duration that fits these 10 layers right.

I can't believe there isn't a way to choose anything but ”Base 25” will not change when Frame Rate get changed in Comp Settings..
I found that CS3 works as it should. Changing Frame Rate in Comp Settings will change the ”Base” accordingly and does not have the problems I describe above. CS5 however......

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Comp length 1 sec 10 frames sequence of Photoshop layers
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 6:49:39 pm

If you divide 25 by 10, the result is 2.5, and there is no such thing as a half of a frame. Whole frames only. Sorry. You'll have to make one layer 2 frames long, the next 3 frames long, then 2, then 3 and so on.

That's just how video works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eri KossusRe: Comp length 1 sec 10 frames sequence of Photoshop layers
by on Mar 25, 2012 at 3:51:10 pm

This is exactly what I am talking about.
My question remains - how to get rid of that sticky Base 25 in CS5?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2012 at 2:50:02 pm

This page describes how to change the time display from 25 fps to 30 fps:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS4ABD6729-8645-442d-AE7D...

Now, that just changes how the time is DISPLAYED. It doesn't change the actual frame rate of a comp. You can do that using a comp preset. Go Composition>New Composition and pick one.

AE assigns a default frame rate to image sequences. It may be either 25 or 30, depending on the country where you live. You can change it by going File>Interpret>Main, and changing the frame rate.

But do you change it to 30 or to 29.97? If it's for NTSC video or DVD, it should be 29.97. If it's for the web ONLY, it can be 30. You should know that the web can play 29.97 just as easily as 30.

If your idea is to use a 30 fps comp to make all your imported layers the same duration, then nesting this comp into a 25fps comp, this is the wrong thing to do. You would be better off using the 3 frames/2 frames procedure described earlier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:54:16 am

Thank you taking time on this!
So what you are saying is that I can not make 1sec long clip containing lets say 7(or 14 or 28) frames only. It would be either 30 or 25 devided so that the number is even. Like 30fps=3;10;15 etc and 25fcp=5.
I can work around by time stretching layers and croping.
While CS3 allow to change time Base when you change the Frame Rate.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:53:18 pm

Sorry, but I have never worked with any thing but 23.976, 29.97, 59.94, 25 and 50 frames/second. These are standard frame rates I must use for the work I deliver. I don't deliver in any other frame rates.

I don't know the answer to your question about that particular difference between CS 3 and later versions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:57:52 pm

Thanks!
For my purpose for visuals for music it does not matter what the frame rate is but the duration is very important to match the beat.
So for now I work in CS3 if I can and render and import to CS5 if I need the features of CS5.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:53:56 am

I found out that one needs to enable Auto Timecode Base in Project Preferences(project window>click on tab between Create New Comp and Trash can at the bottom bar). And problem solved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]