ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing multiple layer's color with expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton CutyarChanging multiple layer's color with expression
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:52:31 am

In my composition, I'm making a 3D cube, they are all the same color at the moment and want to keep it this way, I want however to be able to easily control that color through controlling a null object. How do I link each cube's side to that null object through expression?

A simple adjustment layer doesn't do the trick for me, as I've got few different layers (such as floor, and a background) under my cube which I do not want to affect!

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Changing multiple layer's color with expression
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:18:44 pm

Add null to your composition and add the Generate -> Fill effect to it. Select your cube sides and add the Fill effect to them. Twirl down the effect properties of your null and one of the cube sides. Alt-Click the stop watch of the color property of the fill effect and pickwhip the color property of your null and hit enter on the number keypad. The result should be: thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Fill")("Color")

Now click the color property with the expression, go to edit and choose "Copy Expression only". Now select all your other sides and press cntl+v

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Anton CutyarRe: Changing multiple layer's color with expression
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:08:02 am

Hi John thanks a lot! I figured it minutes before you replied! Only difference is I used a CC Toner effect to control the colors!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved