ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

scale object but dont scale mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paulscale object but dont scale mask
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:16:10 pm

So i want to do some split screens. I have pictures and each picture has its own mask. Now is it possible to move my pictures around and scale them WITHOUT scaling or moving the mask?

this is my solution: i just created a new solid and i am using this to mask my picture but that way i need a new solid for every picture which i find to be kind of annoying (since the split screen is a lot of close ups of the same footage).

so yeh is it possible to scale/move an object while leaving the object's mask untouched?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: scale object but dont scale mask
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:04:17 pm

Couple of methods you might want to try. Instead of creating a new solid, duplicate your layer and set the bottom layer to use the top as it's track matte. Then you can delete it's mask. Pretty much the same approach, cept you won't have to move the solid into it's place and scale it everytime.

Or you could precompose the video layer/picture have and leave all it's attributes in main comp. Open up a 2nd comp window, open your precomp and set your scale and position keyframes in the precomp while you watch the results in your main comp. This method might be more work than it's worth though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved