ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to draw a new mask for every frame?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon RuschmeyerHow to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:17:34 pm

Hello!
I masking a piece of cloth which is changing its form so fast, that it takes me ages to adjust the keyframes for every single frame. I think I would be so much faster if I could just draw a new map for every single frame, is there a way to do that in AE?
I would appreciate any help, best regards, Simon

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 3:32:33 pm

New Mask = Shift + Cntl + N

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: #After Effects - How to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:33:49 am

Rotobrush may be a better option to start off with? Get a rough selection this way.

Then you could also try Layer > Autotrace to create masks from the Alpha created by Rotobrush, make sure it's set to Trace entire work area.

Finally add Refine Matte effect to add motion Blur, smoothing etc.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:42:06 pm

It would also help to get a detailed description of what you're doing. There may be faster alternate ways to accomplish the same thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:38:58 am

Dave and Angie bring up good points. I also strongly suggest using key frames spread out as far as possible and then working inwards if the spaces between keyframes need refinement.

Keyframing a roto every frame is 1) a lot more work than what you need to be doing and 2) always creates edge jitter from poor edge accuracy. Even if keyframe momentum only holds for 3-4 frames, it's better that way.

Return to posts index

Simon RuschmeyerRe: How to draw a new mask for every frame?
by on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:49:39 pm

Dear All,
thank you for your help, it's so much appreciated.
Imm masking a piece of cloth which a woman folds out and arranges it on the floor, for most of the frames the form of the cloth changes so fast and in so many directios that interpolating the frames seems to be no option.
I tried both working with keyframes from the edge frames inwards and Rotobrush, but did not reach successfull results. It might be because of my low level of knowledge, I think I need to understand the refinement parameters of those methods better, but the masks I got where not excact enough.
In the end I found a workaround: I exported the frames as a image sequence, made a mask for every frame in photoshop and re-imported in After Effects. Maybe not the fastest approach but I am sattisfied with the result.
Thank you so much for your help,
best regards, SImon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2012 at 3:08:36 pm

We understand that you're trying to isolate the cloth. But WHY are you trying to isolate the cloth?

To change its color? There are better ways.

To create a void in the image into which you will put something else? That's an entirely different set of techniques.

To replace the cloth with a different image that must move perfectly with the cloth's movements? Another set of techniques.

As you see, you need to be more specific.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:08:18 pm

Dear Dave,
I changed the color of the cloth to a more vibrant red. I first tried to pull a key with primatte bud did not succeed. That's why I turned to masking it. Which technique would you have suggested?
Best regards, Simon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:38:28 pm

I would animate a garbage mask around the cloth; it's a lot easier than rotoscoping, because you don't have to be anywhere near as precise in your masking. Then I would use either the Change Color or Change To Color effects to change the cloth color.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 9:46:23 am

Hey Dave!
Did not know the concept of a garbage mask yet, thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time!
Take care, Simon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]