ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Resizing a single word or character & retain spacing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HarrelsonResizing a single word or character & retain spacing
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:06:42 pm

I have a text effect request from a client to resize a single word in a line of text. The word would scale up and then scale back down to normal position.

To achieve this effect and make it look good I'd like to build an effector that when I apply a scale effector for the specific word that I can also keyframe another effect that will retain the scale of text surrounding the scaled text but it push outward to make room for the scaled text.

Is there another approach other than creating layer masks for the other words and keyframing their horizontal position to match the resize and then return to normal position?

Dylan Harrelson
Creative Editor
Gragg Advertising

Apple Certified Professional

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Resizing a single word or character & retain spacing
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:36:47 pm

Without knowing the entire situation, I think you should be able to do it the entire thing with text animators. Use 1 animator to select your word and scale it. Then an animator to move the text before the word and one to move the text after it.

If the word is in a paragraph, you would probably need 2 more animators to move the the text that is above the word and that which is below the word.

I made a quick example project, take a look and if you have questions, just ask:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved