ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE effects round up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerAE effects round up
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 5:06:54 pm

Yes, my question really is that simple: is there any good online resources for learning about all the effects in AE?

I've completed the Chad Perkins and now the Chris/Trish Mayer online tutorials on

They are superb for someone with limited experience of AE as is this forum!

Though now want to dig a bit deeper. Expressions is next on the list, but before that I need to learn about all the AE effects - there is no tutorial for this.

Chad Perkins has a book on the subject:

The After Effects Illusionist: All the Effects in One Complete Guide

Although before shelling out for this - does anyone know if a good, free or paid resource. I learn best by video.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE effects round up
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 5:22:03 pm

I had been using AE for about 10 years before I bought the AE Illusionist last year and I found it very handy and keep it nearby as a reference. Everyone gets used to a certain effects and patterns and his book exposes you to things you might not know were there. Doing tutorials will familiarize you with the effects you need to complete the tutorials, this will help you learn the ones you might only need once every other year, but you'll be glad you know them.

As far as learning advanced work, the book really doesn't go into complex stuff, just enough for most of the effects to get a basic understanding of what the effect does. I would give it a pretty strong recommendation for someone in the first few years of learning AE, and and for advanced users it's a nice reference to have around.

As far as expressions, this is about the best you will find: After Effects Expressions by Marcus Geduld

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: AE effects round up
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 5:26:46 pm

Now brought it. Thanks! :)

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved