ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Material too slow to render in AE, suspect camera...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vincent lagerwallMaterial too slow to render in AE, suspect camera...
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:02:08 pm

I just bought Samsung HMX Q10 videocamera, however the material I have recorded with the camera takes too long to render in After Effects, 2 minutes of material would take up to 40 minutes or more... So I´m guessing that it has something to do with the codec the camera uses? Also I cannot play it in realtime in After Effects, it´s too slow. What should I do to improve the speed? I have tried Sorenson, exporting it out as Motion JPEG and 720p24 hdv, the speed improves but the quality of the video is decreased.

I sent my friend the same material that I recorded, just to make sure it wasnt my computers fault, which it wasnt, he had the same slow speed when rendering.

I think the camera uses h.264 codec... but I am not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Material too slow to render in AE, suspect camera...
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:44:26 pm

First off, you can't play ANYTHING in real time in AE, so keep them fingers off the space bar. Do a RAM Preview, and learn how to change the Work Area. You can search for both terms in AE's online help for the how-to.

To check the codec, highlight the footage in the project window. Look at the information at the top. H.264 can be problematic even in AE 10 & 10.5 when using features like Rotobrush, Warp Stabilizer and the time-related effects. It's the kiss of death when using AE 9 and below.

The fix: transcode the footage to a lossless codec for use in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved