ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exploding image with letters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francesca Ceccarelli
Exploding image with letters
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:04:17 pm

Hi guys, I'm Italian so I hope everyone will understand what I'm going to write ^^

I have to make a video installation and what I wanna do is create exploding images, so I want them to break into pieces...actually I want them to "break into letters"....I mean instead of millions of pieces, I want millions of letters that smash away from my images.

This is what I've done:

As you can see from 0:05 there is an image that is exploding into tiny pieces...I want tiny letters instead of those pieces: is that possible? how can I do it?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Exploding image with letters
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:39:26 pm

i don't know what effect you used to explode your current piece, but if you were using an effect like particular, you'd just need to replace the existing particle with a custom particle, that would be the letters that you wanted to use.

if you wanted to use capital letters from a-z, then your custom particle comp could be 26 frames long, with a separate letter on each frame. in particular, you'd set it to use that custom particle comp selecting a random still frame for each particle, and now it should look like letters are breaking up you image.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:42:55 pm

Kevin - that's trapcode form.

Just adding to what Kevin said, after you create your custom particle layer, you will probably have to play with the size of the particles quite a bit for them to overlap and fill in the logo. Just a guess but I think the particles are going to need to be 2 to 3 times the size of the spheres you are using now.

You may even need to create another map in form so that when gradient that shatters the layer moves into place, it makes the particles get smaller, so it looks like more of them.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Francesca Ceccarelli
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:43:40 pm

First. I thank both Kevin and John! You were very kind to answer me...
John was right, I used Trapcode Form and I create another comp in which I create the map for the destruct effect (through fractal noise).
When I open the voice "particle" in my form plugin, there are lots of kind of particles, but there isn't "custom", so I really don't know how to do it...
I tried with Trapcode Particle, but the final result doesn't please me...
Thank you very much, again! :)

ps. sorry the video I put here is not mine (but it's the same effect I wanna do)...I made a mistake in writing and I just wanna to specify it.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:26:57 pm

Under the Particle Pull-down the default "Particle Type" is Sphere, the bottom 3 particles are all different custom particles - Custom, Custom Colorize, Custom Fill. You should choose the one works for this project then the Custom properties will be active and you choose your pre-comped alphabet layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
Re: #AfterEffects #Trapcode Form - Exploding image with letters
on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31:43 am

Hi there,

Good advice from the guys regarding Particular. You may find that Trapcode Form is easier to set up for this kind of animation. There's a tutorial here on Red Giant TV that shows how to create particles from text using Form. I hope this helps.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/redgianttv/item/22/

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]