ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich GarciaNeed to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:11:25 am

Hi, I am in need of some help replicating a light/shine effect (I'm not sure what to call it) as close as possible to the original footage.

Heres the link-

Im working on a project for someone and I need to do this as soon as possible, in a way where the project can be re used as a template. In the video below I have cropped it from the original to focus only on the part I need help with but let me explain the project so its understood what Im doing and trying to do.

- In the video the picture of the guy will be replaced with someone elses picture/video footage. This will be done multiple times using the same template but just a different picture.

- I have already set everything up with the motion tracking so that it fits in right.

- The folder opens and in the original picture in the video there is light shining off of it and this is the effect Im trying to re create.

- So far what I did to try to recreate the effect, I made a white solid square with the opacity turned down and placed it over the my image that I have replaced the original one with and used a light sweep effect but its not even close to what I want.

I would like the light shine to be realistic and the same as the original as much as possible.

How can I do achieve this effect?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Need to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:36:15 pm

the most realistic, and possibly easiest way, would be to reshoot it with an black photo rather than an actual photo. then you could simply set that blending mode to screen or add to get what you are after.

what you might try is using the footage that you have and try to adjust it to try and isolate the glare as best you can, then try a blending mode. there aren't too many frames that you need so i don't think that rotoscoping would be too difficult... you might even want to do it in photoshop on an image sequence.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Rich GarciaRe: Need to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:53:37 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice. I dont think I will be able to get a re shoot so I'm going to try the other techniques you described to see how that goes. If that doesnt work then is there another way I can go about this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Need to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:48:51 pm

[Rich Garcia] "If that doesnt work then is there another way I can go about this?"

you could use the ramp effect on a separate solid to create a simple gradient and set the blending mode to lighten, screen or add. you can use the same corner pin tracks to get the ramp fit the image. then you could animate the ramp layer in and out to match the timing of the original footage. you may be able to simply animate the opacity keyframes for that solid, or also animate the ramp properties, like the ramp points or colors. linear wipe might work well too.

i would create one solid for each glare instance.

if you wanted to try and add some texture to the glare, you could try to add fractal noise to the solid (after the ramp effect, and before corner pin) and set the fractal noise blending mode (this is a blending mode within the effect, not the layer blending mode) to darken or multiply so it blends with the ramp effect, then play with the settings to get the texture that you want.

you could also create the glare as a layer in photoshop and animate that in ae... this could give you more control over the texture.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Rich GarciaRe: Need to know how to re-create light shine/gleam off of picture
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:24:17 am

Ok thanks a lot, Im going to try it out and mess with it to see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]