ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thoreau Bakker3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:32:09 am

hi! I've been learning a bit of AE and starting to LOVE it!

My 3D playback is incredibly slow, where I'll have to change position key frame by key frame (guessing) and render to preview anything.

I'm not able to scroll through. In a tut. I saw, the teacher was moving the camera smoothly.

My comp is kinda ok (Dell Precision 490 with 4 gigs of ram), but I think my video card is the culprit. Do you agree?

Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 128MB PCIe Dual Head
Integrated Quadro 285 2D graphics processor unit (GPU)
Bus Type PCI-Express Memory 128 MB DDR (64 MB local frame buffer plus 64 MB of system memory via TurboCache)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12312_na/12312_na.HTML

I'm confused on what kind of card I need in after effects.. would someone be able to help me? I don't have much budget, so top shelf is off the table.

Thanks for any tips.

Thoreau

Return to posts index

Thoreau BakkerRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:26:40 am

p.s. the reason I'm confused, is my common sense tells me I need a card labeled as 3D, or at least a little bigger (in terms of memory) but I get the sense from some people that the video card really has nothing to do with it.

It's trying to be able to scroll around (even at low res) to get my motion for intuitive rather than going frame by frame and guessing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:03:02 pm

If you're talking AE, the amount of memory and number of cores has more to do with speed than any card... and you don't have much memory.

Yeah, it may SEEM like a lot, but for a 64-bit application like AE CS5 or later, it ain't nothin'. I run both AE 10 & 10.5 at home on a dual-quad-core machine, and I have 24 GB RAM, which is a nice amount.

And since you mention Repoussé, you should know that Photoshop's idea of 3D is lousy. It stinks on ice. It's a joke; serious pros laugh at it. If you want 3D, get a 3D application; there's a 3D application out there called Blender, it's good and it's FREE.

I say go for Blender, bud. But first, get yourself a 64-bit OS like Win 7 and trick your machine out with RAM.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thoreau BakkerRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:20:54 pm

Dave, thanks SO much for the words..

I must admit I really don't know what I'm doing, which why I'm greatful for the council.

When I talk about Repoussé, here's what I mean. If I create 3D text in photoshop, on my home comp, I'm not even able to drag the view around smoothly. When I tried the same scrolling on a mac at school, it was very smooth (ie. it would spin / toggle easily as I dragged the mouse).

When I import the Repoussé text to AE, and I go to add a keyframe and change, say, position, I can't drag the parameter more than one number before it stops. I have to type a new number, and wait for the still image to re update. Would a better video card help me with this scrubbing action?

My system is a windows 7 64bit system now, and I hear you 100% on the ram! 4 Gigs is nothing I guess.

I'm just SUPER confused about video cards: should I get a gaming card? low end Nvidia workstation card? Is there a solution for 3D scrolling under $200 (maybe used?)

like, I've found this link for compatibility:

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/extend.html

but I'm not sure if I can use other cards that are 3D. For example, someone near me is selling this card for $50

(Inno3D, Nividia GT8800 - http://www.techspot.com/review/74-inno3d-geforce8800gt/)

it says '3D' so common sense tells me I'd be good to go.

but common sense also reminds me I have no clue what I'm doing ;)

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repoussé like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:55:58 pm

Well, as I wrote before, don't worry about the card. Hot cards do NOTHING to help AE. Nada.

Okay, they do help with a handful of third-party plugins that cost more than your whole computer.

So don't worry about the card. Okay? If you want to spend money, put that dough into more memory. You'll be happier, believe me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:06:39 pm

So, the scrolling (or lack of) issue is a ram issue?

The lack of 3D scrolling has nothing to do with my video card being 2D?

Thanks for the tips.. I guess I'm ready to forget the card and start looking for RAM.

It seems ram is insane (like $300 for a 4 / 8 gig kit). Any RAM shopping tips? Big Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repouss�© like butter
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:56:05 pm

For memory for a Windows box, look at a company called Crucial, crucial.com. Good quality, reasonable price, and I have 24 gigs of it in my home machine. Read your specs carefully and choose carefully. It wouldn't hurt to have an IT wonk help you out.

Incidentally, a really hot card that can make apps like Premiere Pro just blaze along runs in the neighborhood of $3500. Welcome to the world of high-quality video.

You're not in Kansas anymore. You're not gaming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repouss�© like butter
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:45:17 am

Dave's opinion of the Photoshop 3D features' integration with After Effects is shared by us, the After Effects team. I recommend against trying to optimize a system to make this feature work well.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Thoreau BakkerRe: 3D video card question: key frame estimates vs. Repouss�© like butter
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:55:40 am

Dave,
much thanks for the RAM link, I'll go check crucial asap. And you're right about Kansas. I feel like the cowardly lion looking up at you experts ;)

Todd,
thanks for your thoughts too! I thought the plug was cool when I saw it on a tutorial, but I'm not one to ignore good advice, so I'm saying goodbye to it :)

Again, much thanks guys,
Thoreau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]