ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer name doesn't always text entered

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonLayer name doesn't always text entered
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 7:49:01 am

Odd one this and I've tried everything, it's not the end of the world as I can get around it but it intrigues me.

Generally when I dupe a text layer (to add a layer with different wording) I d/clk the duplicated layer to 'highlight' the text and type in the new information, click off it and the layers name reflects the content of the text newly entered (if I've explained myself correctly) however on odd occasions it accepts the new content in the comp panel but the layer 'name' remains as the original content and I have to physically rename it and for the life of me I cannot work out why it happens ... anyone got any advice (probably really simple and I'll kick myself) !

Many thanks Roger

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:15:04 pm

i think i follow what you are talking about... in the timeline you can rename a layer, but that does not change the name of the source layer. you can toggle between the layer name and the source name by clicking that column header in the timeline (where it says either 'layer name' or 'source name')... this way, as you duplicate elements they don't generate duplicate the assets in the project window, it just generates an instances of the same source layer.

if you wanted to duplicate a solid (or any layer generated in ae, like an adjustment layer or null) and have it be a new asset in the project window, when you want to rename it, choose layer>solid settings, enter the name there and make sure the option to 'affect all layers...' is unchecked.

the result will create a new solid in the project window too.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:44:23 pm

Yes Kevin, I thought maybe I explained it badly so good of you to attempt an answer.

I understand the points/processes you mentioned however ... say I have a text layer ... in the comp panel it reads "Big Sale" and in the timeline panel in the column headed "Layer Name" the Layer's Name reflects the Text Layers content in the Comp window eg it says Big Sale ... so - rather than create a brand new layer for some more text I just duplicate the layer - in the comp window the dupe says Big Sale of course and also the dupe layer has Big Sale 2 - I then double click the dupe layer this highlights the text in the comp window and I type "Starts Today" and the text in the comp window reads "Starts Today" but sometimes (and only sometimes, that's my problem, it's not consistent, the dupe layers name remains "Big Sale" ie it doesn't always automatically update the layer name to reflect the content of the layer in the comp window !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:28:28 pm

I think in those odd instances when the text layer name doesn't change, it may be due to your having toggled the "custom layer name" setting. I forget the actual AE lingo for this feature, but you'll see it when you click on the layer name at the very top of the panel.

It can be a handy feature. Here's an actual example:

I have a project coming up that will use a BUNCH of still pictures. They have oh-so-descriptive file names like "6294426.jpg". For my sanity, I'll use that feature and call this particular picture "Linn-Mar Boys Win State Tourney".

For text layers? Not so handy, perhaps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:43:50 pm

Good try Dave, I must say it was the first thing I tried and it's not that ... it's so good of you guys to try and solve this ... it's really not a big deal because I can always get around it but it's intriguing ... Roger

Return to posts index

Ross TurianoRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 4:57:47 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I also think it's not a big deal and just some kind of glitch or something, the only way I was able to fix it is to manually rename the duplicated text layer.

The source text is different, but the layer name and source name on the timeline are the same as the original layer that I duplicated.

It is odd, but as long as the source text is different, I think it's just copying some information from the original layer

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:22:57 am

Yes Ross I think you're right, I've learnt to live with it ... life's too short.

I just get it in my head sometimes and then spend hours trying to work out why there's a glitch ... I fail and then come to visit the COW !

have a good day

Roger

Return to posts index

wbargerRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Aug 5, 2013 at 4:25:46 pm

I think I have the answer to this question... but a year later it's not going to help much. I read this thread because I was having the same problem. This is what I came up with.
It appears that sometimes you have to delete the name of the text layer before it will update. If you right click on the layer, choose rename and than delete the layer name, it will update the layer's name making it the same as your text. After you've done this, the layer will update every time you change the text.... is that the answer?

Return to posts index

john mullinsRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:47:30 pm

Thank you WBarger! I was having the same problem as the other were, but your solution fixes the problem. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Lee HarperRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Feb 11, 2015 at 12:36:47 pm

Nice to see you on here Roger, - for everyone else, we used to work together years ago - I've searched for just this problem and found your post.

I was getting the same issue and I think I've worked it out (I think).

If you manually rename a text layer's Layer Name in the timeline (select the layer in the timeline, hit Enter, type the new layer name, then Enter again), it will remain that name even if you modify the text in the Comp. I'm guessing After Effects thinks that's the name you want the layer to be, so it won't change it.

If you duplicate that renamed text layer, it will become (for example) "Big Sale 2" and will remain that name if you modify the text in the Comp.

By clearing the Layer Name text in the timeline (select the layer in the timeline, hit Enter, hit Delete, then Enter again) you reset the Layer Name to mirror what is in the text layer in the Comp.

I think that's what seems to happen anyway, hope that helps.

Thanks
Lee

Lee Harper
Animation Director
Gizmo Animation
http://www.gizmoanimation.co.uk

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2015 at 1:53:21 pm

You always were a smart a%& Lee ... clever boy .... nice to see you.

x Rog

Return to posts index

Guido GiardinoRe: Layer name doesn't always text entered
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:59:38 am

Wbager have the answer! Many Thanks! Years figuring how can I reset the layer name!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]