ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Basic Masking Can do Some Amazing things

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron musgroveBasic Masking Can do Some Amazing things
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:43:36 pm

I would like do do the shapes and graphs that are being done in this video. If I design the finish graphs in Illustrator and then import them into separate pieces, how do I mask them out. I.E. where it looks like a square in the center of the page is sliding in from nowhere. I know you would have the square sitting in place, and then put a mask over it and animate the position of the mask so that the square or whatever would appear. How do i create a mask over that that can be animated?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Basic Masking Can do Some Amazing things
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:14:44 pm

In AE, you use the pen or mask shape tools to create masks that can be animated. Once you make the mask you twirl down your layer settings, click on mask shape stopwatch and set a keyframe. Move the CTI(current time indicator) to a different time and change your mask.

In that video besides masking a lot of those reveals were done by animating opacity, scale along with masking.

Going to make an assuption Aaron that you are very new to AE, you should check out the page of Getting Started links that Todd Kopriva has put together.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved