ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to rotate ruler guide lines and grid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro AmaralHow to rotate ruler guide lines and grid
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 3:55:01 pm

I'd like to know if it is possible to rotate the guide lines (like it is possible in Adobe Illustrator) from the ruler.

I know this sounds a little bit weird, as I can solve this by creating simple lines or and lock them, but this way i won't be able to snap objects to them and move them along the guide (not animating, only moving).

I also would like to know if the same thing could be possible with the grid, not the effect but the actual viewing grid (view>show grid). In a way I could use this grid to snap objects a move them more precisely.

Allow me to explain:
There is a tool in Adobe Illustrator called Perspective Grid Tool (Shift+P) - which I'm not very familiar with but it explains visually more or else what I am trying to do. So basically I have a LOT of 2D objects organised in an Isometric view and I need to move these objects in a logic degree in order to maintain a coherence in the animation.
So, by using guide lines or a grid in the correct degrees to form a isometric perspective view I can move and organise all the objects snapped to it in the correct degree, without distorting the perspective.

I'm familiar with the grid effect (Effect>Generate>Grid) which I can easily use to create an isometric perspective cube but I wont be able to snap the objects there.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: How to rotate ruler guide lines and grid
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:40:30 pm

No, these features do not exist in After Effects. The workarounds that you refer to are good, though.

You can submit feature requests (and bug reports) here:

(more on feedback for After Effects)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Pedro AmaralRe: How to rotate ruler guide lines and grid
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 6:06:40 pm

Thank you for your reply!

Well, that's unfortunate. I'll get myself a solution for it somehow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved