ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying For a Certain Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Holle
Trying For a Certain Effect
on Feb 4, 2012 at 3:34:17 am

Hello everyone. I've recently started After Effects, and I've looked through a few tutorial videos to get used to the software. I decided that my first project would be a lyric video for a song. Now, I know enough to get the characters on the screen, switch them out, change the background color and add the text, but what I'm having problems with is giving the characters an effect.

What I'm going for is in that video, and it's the sort of firey, electric like aura that the characters have when they speak. I'm going for something along those lines - not exactly that, but something of similar effect.

Does anyone have a tutorial they can point me to, or some sort of instruction about how to go about this kind of effect?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Trying For a Certain Effect
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:44:18 am

Take a look at the Generate > Audio Spectrum or Audio waveform effects and add it to a solid. Just add the audio to your project and point the effect to the audio layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Aaron Holle
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:04:47 am

Oh! I think I was being a little vague. I was actual referring the the 'aura' that each of the characters have the. The left one, when speaking, gains a yellow-ish firey aura, and the right one gets a blue-reddish one when he speaks. I'm looking for that, not the spectrum in the background.

Thank you, though!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47:39 pm

Think I came up with a solution to the fire aura. I used particular, if you don't have that plugin you can download a trial from red giant. This isn't really a basic project, so feel free to ask questions.

To create a basic line, instead of moving particles with velocity, I used Wind X to move them left to right. Then created 1200 particles to create a solid line, wiggling the position of the emmitter a bit gave it a random/organic feel. I encountered a problem that it takes a long time for the particles to fill the screen this way(15 seconds), so if you use this method, I would suggest creating a long animation and prerendering it, then color and add camera moves later.

Most of the work is done in the Air and Turbulence Fields(the turbulence field affects particle position) to create the look of the line, twisting and turning on it's own. Turn on Visualize fields and you will why the particles are being affected.

To colorize it, I added the tint effect to make the line black and white and added an adjustment layer to the project and added the Tritone effect and just keyframed the Midtones. Then a Glow effect over that.

Camera with Null controller and randomized postion and some rotational keyframes finished the project.

3639_fireaurafolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Aaron Holle
on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:24:27 pm

Oh, wow, that was very extensive! The file you gave was very informative, so I thank you that. However, and I really hate to say this... that still isn't quite the effect I was looking for. It will definitely help me, but not what I needed the most assistance with. Perhaps the following screenshot will clear things up:

I'm trying to make that.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:00:02 am

Well, I hope that first file is helpful to you at some point...lol
Add a glow to the layer you want to affect.
Radius > 40
Intensity > 2.0
Composite Original > On Top

Next I added Stylize > Roughen Edges.
Edge Type > Spiky
Border > 2.0
Evolution > add the expression "time * 200"

To make the aura appear and dissappear I keyframed; Glow > Radius and Intensity; Roughen Edges > Scale.

So I'm pretty sure there isn't anything else in that video..right...Just kidding, I'm laughing cause I managed to misread every post you made. Hope this helps: 3642_fireauracharacterfolder.zip
Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Holle
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:11:10 am

Thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for, and it's look amazing! You've been a huge help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]