ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul BooneWorkflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:51:45 pm

Hi, I'm new to AE

I have a composition that is a minute long video, and in that comp I have 9 precomps that are around 6-8 seconds each.

I have markers on my soundtrack and my main composition and separately in my precomps.. I want to find the same point of the precomp that is in my main composition.. inside of my precomp..

So, I want to edit to the soundtrack in my pre-comps but am trying to figure out how to find the spot to position the song. If I put the clips in the precomp at the same point of time as is measured in the timeline of both, my keyframes are before 0 and I can't really edit them.. can I?

I don't know if this made any sense at all, but do you have any workflow tips for editing a composition with many precomps inside, to music?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:41:52 pm

Go to Edit > Preferences and check "Synchronize Time of all Related Items".

Now in your master comp if you double click precomp 4 at 55 secs, it will open up that precomp at what would be 55 seconds of your master comp.(hope that makes sense).

So you could copy and paste the audio from the master into the precomps and if you don't move the CTI around, it will be synced.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:19:17 pm

Hi there,

If you add Comp markers, as opposed to Layer Markers, they will show up when the comp is nested within a new comp as layer markers.

To do this, in your nested comps add Comp Markers by hitting Shift-1, Shift-2, Shift-3 etc, double-click to rename if necessary.

Then, when you nest this into a new comp, the markers will appear as layer markers in exactly the same places.

Sadly this needs to be done before nesting as adding subsequent markers in the pre comp will not update in the main one.

Hope this is some help.

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:03:24 pm

[Angie Taylor] "Sadly this needs to be done before nesting as adding subsequent markers in the pre comp will not update in the main one."

Just recently discovered that little gotcha a few months ago when I attempting to do what Paul is trying to do...sync after things are started.

After Effects...live and learn the hard way! :)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Paul BooneRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:11:48 pm

Awesome, this sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to play around with it a bit before I really understand the relationship between them, but this is great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:50:43 am

[Johnny Cuevas] Just recently discovered that little gotcha a few months ago when I attempting to do what Paul is trying to do...sync after things are started.
After Effects...live and learn the hard way! :)

Yup, it's a constant and sometimes frustrating learning curve! I come across little gotchas and niggles in AE virtually every day - keeps me interested though - with it's little quirky ways! :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Jaqai MickelsenRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Nov 5, 2016 at 7:18:30 pm

I realize this string has been long left for dead, but I've just made the same discovery about the markers not showing up in parent comps. Here in AE CC 2015.3. Interesting that this lil' bug was never circled around for.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:14:26 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:16:06 pm

[Jaqai Mickelsen] " but I've just made the same discovery about the markers not showing up in parent comps. "

actually you can update markers by right clicking on one of the layer markers and choosing "update markers from source". it will then update the precomps' layer makers to the inside Composition markers. you can do this after the fact and as many times as you want. if you didn't have any layer markers you can do this by adding just one dummy marker to the layer and using this feature successfully.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jaqai MickelsenRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:33:49 pm

Hmmm. I appreciate the response (resurrecting a 2012 string! What fun!) but that option is grayed out for me. In the example here, you can see that I have a pre-comp that's living in two different parent-comps. I want the marker to show up in the parent comp, even though I've added the marker after the comp had already been placed in the parent.

For 04_mainCompPT4_v1, I just dragged a new instance of it from the project pane, aligned it to the previous version of itself in the parent comp timeline, deleted the previous version, and the marker followed the new instance. However, I learned in 00_previewComp that while you can alt-drag the pre-comp into the timeline over itself, it doesn't update to include the marker.

In short (too late), you have to re-add the child comp from the project pane "from scratch" into the parent for the marker to be visible. It's not a huge deal, it just means that if you have any expressions or keyframes in the pre-comp you want the markers to show up on, you need to copy paste all to the new instance that includes the markers.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: #AfterEffects Workflow confusion.. markers between comps and precomps?
by on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:47:54 pm

I am not following exactly what are you trying to do. if you want the precomp's inside Comp markers to appear on the outside as layer markers then all you have to do is add one dummy marker and then right click on it, and you will be able to update ALL of the inside's comps markers as outside layer markers. is this what you are trying to do?

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:56:00 pm

I *think* you're describing what I was looking to accomplish, but that is never an option for me. I've added a dummy marker both to the parent comp and the child comp and both context menus have that option as grayed out.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:57:18 pm

here is a similar example to what you have. I have a precomp inside 2 comps. the precomp has 3 comp markers like this:

I go back one comp to the master comp and set a dummy marker on my precomp like this:

and I choose update markers

now I have this

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2016 at 10:03:47 pm

Aaaaha.

So, I figured out why that option was grayed out for me. Because I was foolishly adding a layer marker to a pre-comp in "main comp" that didn't have any markers within it. So, there were no markers to update.

It doesn't work for all the pre-comps in the master, just the one you're specifically working with.

But, just as you outline above, once I put the dummy it on the correct pre-comp, that "update markers..." was available in the context menu and works as you described.

Thanks for taking the time!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2016 at 10:05:03 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Nov 5, 2016 at 10:06:42 pm

so is this issue SOLVED?

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]