ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Time remapping, what am I missing here?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Tyler
AE Time remapping, what am I missing here?
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:12:17 am

First month in AE, first couple of days attempting Time Remapping... watched all of the online tutorials everywhere on the net, but it seems like I'm missing something big here because nothing works as it does in the tutorials...

So, I'm importing trimmed clips from PP, and extending the comp duration so I have working room, but when I speed up the clip it brings original footage at the end, and when I slow down a portion it speeds up the remainder of the footage.

So basically whatever I do seems constrained by the length of the trimmed clip I import, and if I try to drag/extend it, it just brings in more of the original footage.

Is this something to do with the fact I don't see the "two keyframes" that are supposed to be visible when you begin remapping?

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: AE Time remapping, what am I missing here?
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:16:49 pm

Those two keyframes you're "supposed to see" are there. They're just at the very beginning and very end of your footage. When you apply time remapping, you're applying it to the piece of footage regardless of the in and out points. If you want it to behave the way you seem to think it should, you will need to add a keyframe at the point you want the video to begin and a keyframe at the point you want the clip to stop and then delete the very first and very last keyframes (you can navigate to them by using the next keyframe and previous keyframe buttons).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean Tyler
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:06:19 am

Thanks for the help Michael...

I did as you said, and added the new keyframes and deleted the original ones. But I seem to be having the same problem, if I speed up or slow down a portion of the clip it distorts the rest of the clip as well.

I was expecting that if I slowed down a portion of the clip the overall clip would "stretch" along the timeline to compensate, but instead the clip length stays the same and the everything after my remap is just squished together to sound something like the Chipmunks Greatest Hits.

S

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 31, 2012 at 3:53:00 pm

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Time Remapping works. When you set a keyframe, it says, "At this point on the timeline, this video will be at this frame." So, when you want to slow something down, you move the keyframes for that section farther apart. Thus the time when it will be at 1:24 and the time when it will be at 1:25 are further apart than one second. However, when you do this you are also moving some keyframes closer together. You have to move your end keyframes as well if you want the rest of the video to not distort (and, if you want the video to continue, you must also extend the layer's out point).

I know you said you watched some tutorials on it, but apparently they weren't very good ones because they didn't explain the basic fundamentals of how it works. Try reading through this: [link] and looking at the resources it links to. It should help you grasp it better.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sean Tyler
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:03:01 am

Thanks Michael,

I got it figured out now, I was just expecting it to behave more like the "timing" features in Premiere Pro, where the clip length adjusts automatically.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]