ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effect Mask Path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac TallackAfter Effect Mask Path
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:00:37 pm

I've just bought After Effects and have been trying to do some animation. I have a cube on my composition and want to animate the edge falling off like at 0:12 seconds.

I want to know how to create a mask and then actually move the part of the object in the mask and not just move the mask around.

Hope that makes sense,
Thanks in advance,
- Isaac

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effect Mask Path
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:10:56 pm

If you created the cube in AE or it's an object with an alpha channel.

Take your cube and use the mask tool to divide it into the shapes you want-using multiple masks. You will find that overlapping the masks a few pixels will make this project easier.

Now for each mask you created, duplicate your layer. IE..3 masks means you need 3 layers. Now open the masks and delete all but one mask for each layer. Layer 1 = Mask 1, Layer 2 = Mask 2, Layer 3 = Mask 3...

Now you can animate each seperate layer to break apart your cube. I created a sample project for you. 3586_cubeexample.aep.zip

I think you would find much of the information on this page beneficial.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Isaac TallackRe: After Effect Mask Path
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:41:33 pm

In your example, how did you make all the masks fit perfectly?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:51:18 pm

I didn't, I slightly overlapped each mask. Since the overlap is slight and the animation only 1 second, you really can't tell that the pieces wouldn't perfectly fit together.

IF you go the route of using exact masks. I would change the transfer modes of each layer to alpha add.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Isaac TallackRe: After Effect Mask Path
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:06:30 pm

Thanks so much, I'll be sure to come back to you if I ever need anymore help. You obviously know what you are doing ;)

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2012 at 1:08:48 am

Just glad I could help. Have to say if I know anything it's cause of the extremely helpful people here and great resources here at the Cow(and VideoCopilot.net too)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]