ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using After effects on "LAPTOP" workstation- have you tried?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
priyankeshu parihar
Using After effects on "LAPTOP" workstation- have you tried?
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:38:22 pm

hello everyone!

Have you used After effects on laptop? How was your experience with it?

I am planning to buy a laptop to use after effects when i am on the move. I am new to after effects but i already know basics of the program!

I need after effects for short film making 15-20 minutes, i would be using premiere pro for editing.

HAVE YOU USED A LAPTOP FOR AE?
if so please tell>>>

1. What config laptop u use, processor/ram/graphic card?

2. Do you think that it is usable enough?

3. If mobility is more important should i get a laptop to get my work done? Or no good quality work can be done on a laptop?

4. my budget is around $1000 and in India i am getting laptop which is i7 second gen, with 8 GB ram and dedicated 1gb graphic card. Asus.

PS:
- I would consider getting a desktop if i find that laptop is not gud usable enough.
- I don't mind if its a bit slow, but i wud nt like it if its lagging too much and impacting my workflow.

Please share your inputs!!

PSS:
i would expect REAL experiences of using laptop from fellow members. I already know that in general desktop gives better bang for the buck.

But in this case i need laptop because i am on the move. I can carry a desktop to other city i go to BUT a laptop would be more comfortable and easy to use for me...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Using After effects on "LAPTOP" workstation- have you tried?
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:39:32 pm

I have used AE on a laptop. If you have a powerful enough processor and enough RAM to go with it, it does reasonably well. As you are already aware, you get a lot faster computer if you buy a desktop instead. However, if you must travel with it, a laptop is workable. Again, get the fastest processor and as much RAM as you can.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

priyankeshu parihar
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:07:40 pm

thank you for the response, can you please share what config laptop u use?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:44:13 pm

I don't use a laptop now. I haven't for a couple of years. Desktops are so much better and my work doesn't require me to do After Effects on the go like it used to. I know it was a MacBook Pro, but I don't remember the specs.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:07:58 pm

I used AE on a laptop for 5 years now. It obviously has its limitations, but you learn to adapt your workflow. Rendering out your final comps can take a looong time though.

I used a 2Ghz dual-core MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM until a few months ago when I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro with 2.5Ghz and 8GB of RAM. Not sure about the video card off the top of my head.

I do it mainly for mobility, as I freelance a lot in addition to traveling for work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]