ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Losing sharpens with Pre-Comps in main Compostions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ilya Osovets
Losing sharpens with Pre-Comps in main Compostions
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:47:59 pm

I have a compostions with a few moving parts that looks nice and sharp. When I place it into another composition. I lose the sharpness. It just looks a little soft. Since these are lower-thirds its pretty noticeable.

Any Ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Losing sharpens with Pre-Comps in main Compostions
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:13:25 pm

Do you have a screenshot or something we could look at to demonstrate the issue?

Is your precomp a different resolution from the main comp? If so, what are the sizes?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ilya Osovets
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:52:59 pm

The Comp is 350x200 and I'm placing it into a 1920x1080 comp.

Im working on a few revisions right now but I will upload examples tonight showing whats going on.

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:04:15 pm

Are you scaling it up to fit the new comp, cause that would be the problem right there if you have any bitmapped images.

If your images are vectors, like text, shapes and such, press the "continous rasterization" switch. It's the one that looks like a little sun. Example here

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ilya Osovets
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:01:25 pm

Thanks John!

Checking the "continuos rasterization" did the trick!

I wasn't doing any scaling, thats why I was unsure as to why I was loosing quality.

I'm wondering as to why there is an option to turn continuos rasterization on and off?
Wouldn't you always want it on, to persure the quality of the pre-comp?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:11:53 pm

Let's say you created a precomp with some shapes, and it has an adjustment layer that inverted the color of the shapes. If you had continous rasterization turned on, that adjustment layer would affect all the layers below your precomped layer in your main comp.

That's just one example of when you wouldn't want to turn it on, there are many more.

I agree it would be nice if when you used vector shapes, you didn't have to worry about them again, but it's just not the way AE is built.

Glad I could help you out today.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ilya Osovets
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:04:55 pm

Thanks for that example and for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]