ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remove a zoom from raw footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellie KayeRemove a zoom from raw footage
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:27:29 am

Just being hopeful here. I am editing some footage that I did not shoot. The camera person is zooming out the whole time on the action of the scene (and the camera is not on a tripod). Is there any way in after effects I can stop the zooming, yet still keep the action intact? I am also going to need to stabilize the video too.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Remove a zoom from raw footage
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:25:46 pm

If it's not a lot of zoom, you could counter it by scaling the video up as the camera zooms out. If it's a lot of zoom, most likely you will start to lose resolution proportionally as you scale the shot up.

You could try using Mocha or AE motion tracker to track the shot, but if you are new to AE, you are going to want to check out some tutorials first on how to use both of those tools.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Remove a zoom from raw footage
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:39:26 pm

As John says, with the AE tracker and with Mocha, you can have it set to stabilize the shot using scale. (If you have CS5.5, you might need to go with the legacy stabilizer.

However, if you are trying to blow the footage up too much, you will end up with artifacting and a soft, pixelly image.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved