ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beginner Question (Advice Sought)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Paul Rivers
Beginner Question (Advice Sought)
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:48:25 pm

Hi have a project coming up and i have decided to make a documentary style self portrait. I wanted to show me looking up at the sky and have my life in images and pictures appear and disappear,is the best way to sell the effect just to add a elipse mask to the picture or video,adjust the feather and change the blend mode to overlay? im going for a very stylized end look, i wanted it looking dream like.

im new to after effects so i thought id ask.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Beginner Question (Advice Sought)
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:33:02 pm

It's good you have an idea, but now you need to get serious about how to get from idea to image.

First thing: draw a picture of what you want it to look like. You might need several. They don't have to look great, but they DO need to show the actions you intend to use to interact with the images, where the camera will be placed, and how you want to get in and out of this effect.

In other words, make a storyboard. Plan out the shot. Don't assume you can simply go out and start shooting video. You'll be able to see how different elements of the shot work together, identify trouble spots, and investigate the techniques you'll need to pull this off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:38:01 pm

I agree with Dave. Plan out exactly how you want it to look and then it will be a lot easier to work out how you go about getting it to look that way. It's no good shooting at a wall and then painting a bullseye where you hit; to be succesfull, we need a target to shoot at first.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lloyd Paul Rivers
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:16:31 pm

would never have thought of this so im very great full for the advice.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

Lloyd Paul Rivers
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:18:50 pm

I can visualize what i want but being an inexperienced after effects user i wouldn't know how to achieve the desired effect.

great feed back as always though :)

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]