ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM Upgrade

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ziga bric
RAM Upgrade
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:30:27 am

Hey everyone,

Ive been rendering videos for some time now, and found out, that almost every program uses different components to render. Ive done a test, and when rendering, eventually, my RAM was full.

Will upgrading RAM speed up the render process, or will this just give me more RAM preview?

My current specs are:
Intel i7 920: 2,67 GHz
RAM: 6 GB DDR3
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS

Thank you very much,
Ziga

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: RAM Upgrade
on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:34:55 pm

Depends on your render. Some compositions render very heavily on the processor and don't use RAM much. Some compositions with lots of large assets will use RAM like crazy, it all depends.

Good rule of thumb is to have about 4GB of RAM for every core of your processor.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ziga bric
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:47:46 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

So, if i7 can calculate 2 threads with a single core, and has 4 of them. This means 4 or 8 cores? = 16GB or 32GB of RAM?

As I have read so far, bigger RAM will make my previews longer, however, couldnt find anywhere if this will speed up my rendering.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:53:33 pm

If your composition uses a lot of layers of video and large JPEG's, it's going to have to use your RAM like crazy. If it runs out of RAM, it's going to have to start swapping things to the hard drives and the processors are going to be waiting for data to arrive. So it will speed up some renders if you have more RAM.
If your composition is a bunch of 3d solids and text with several lights and heavy depth of field, you're going to be waiting for your processors to chug through all those calculations and your RAM is going to go fairly unused.

Does that make sense?

I don't know about how hyperthreading or multithreading goes as far as RAM usage. I don't have enough equipment here with enough down time to test that. However, I think I have something that may help: [link] The resources at that link and the forum thread it links to should help you as you figure out what's best.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

ziga bric
on Jan 20, 2012 at 10:47:33 am

It makes sense, yes. Thank you :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]