ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tweaking the strobe light effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Gallagher
Tweaking the strobe light effect
on Jan 14, 2012 at 1:17:18 pm

Hey guys I stumbled on this community and it looks like a creative paradise! Hopefully I can grow with this site as well as help others when I can.

Anyways I am making a title card with my logo on it and am trying to match it to some music and I am having a hard time getting the strobe light effect to get going fast enough to make it look like I am running it with the music.

The start of the composition is fine but the crescendo of the music (Pretty Lights song) gets going fast before a new bass drop and I want to get my logo to flash quicker, and at the very least I would like to get it to look like an old school light bulb that lights kind of slow and then flickers very fast as it gets full power.

Like I said I can get it to work for the most part but getting the very fast flicker is causing me problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am excited to learn and grow in my projects. I am looking to continue to get better and deliver great videos.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Tweaking the strobe light effect
on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:19:00 pm

Have you looked at this resource: [link]? It explains the various parameters of the effect.

Basically, you need to keyframe the strobe period and the strobe duration to be smaller numbers over time. Strobe duration always needs to be smaller than strobe period. In fact, it might be easier to make a simple expression in the strobe duration that just takes the strobe period and divides by two. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Randy Gallagher
on Jan 18, 2012 at 2:54:13 pm

I have looked at the link in fact that was the first that I looked at, however I am unsure on how to get the exact results that I need. I read somewhere that this is based on seconds versus frames, which I would prefer.

Either way do you know of a place where I can learn more about the expressions and adding them to the compositions. I am fairly new to AE and understand that the expressions can be added for desired effects but I am unsure on the variables and syntax that I should use.

Thanks for the help so far I really appreciate it.

For your above recommendation are you saying that I should add an expression such as

time/2?
strobe/2?

What/2?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:33:15 pm

You would need to alt-click the stopwatch for strobe duration.
Pickwhip to the value for strobe period.
Then type /2

For more on learning expressions, check out Dan Ebberts' site: http://www.motionscript.com/ Also, the AE help pages on expressions aren't bad.

Also, just pay attention as you go through tutorials here or on VideoCopilot.net, they will occasionally use expressions to make things easier. The more you see them in use, the more you'll understand how to use them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Randy Gallagher
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:57:15 pm

Sorry to keep bothering you over something probably so simple but I want to make sure that I learn this and get it right. I looked at the link that you gave me and that was very helpful but now I am stuck again.

Here is my waveform that I converted my audio into:

Looking at this I really can't create a threshold to write an expression around so I pose this question:

How would I write an expression that would change the color one layer to white only on the peaks of the audio? Basically ( and I know this isn't java)

if(the waveform peaks, flash contents of layer white, do nothing)

I was looking at another effect, change to color, would that work if I just set it to each key frame that the audio peaked manually.

Thanks for the help and again I am sorry for asking so many questions about something that seem so simple. I really want to expand my knowledge here not just pump out crappy videos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]