ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

add video to a wall

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Paul Riversadd video to a wall
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:23:41 pm

Im new to after effects and i have a first year University video to get finished. Im trying to add some footage to the side of the actor playing the homeless man. I have put some in as a test but i get these harsh boxes around the images so its obvious its a video. Is there any other way? again im new so any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: add video to a wall
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:07:50 pm

Could you repost a picture showing the "harsh boxes"? It will be easier to diagnose and offer solutions if we can see exactly where the problem lies.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Lloyd Paul RiversRe: add video to a wall
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:21:36 pm

The layer is at the top of the stack. The blend mode is overlay.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:06:54 pm

Is that an ink flow? Generally those are over black, if so, I would attempt building an alpha for it. One effective way to do that is with the handy little "Unmult" plugin. It's free, you can find it at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/free/

If that isn't a black background, but a white background, I would probably use the Keying > Luma Key effect and "Key out Brighter", that will remove a white background.

After that, I would apply a blending mode.

One other thing that will sell an effect like that is to duplicate the video, make a precomp of the duplicated video, desaturate it and increase the contrast.

Then to your ink layers add Distort > Displacement effect and displace a tiny amount. It will look like the ink flows are being affected by the bricks in the wall.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:13:57 pm

what do you mean an ink flow? its just a ripped video from a homeless documentary that i wanted rapidly jump cutting.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:57:30 pm

Sorry about that, I looked at that quickly and thought you were adding an ink flow to the wall.

Few different solutions you could try. One would be to add a mask to your video. I would use select the round mask tool and select most of the video(not all) and then feather the mask significantly. That will remove the edges. If you are still seeing edges, adjust the mask exspansion to a negative number--if your feather is 48, a mask exspansion of -48 should do the trick .

Another approach would be to create organic looking mattes in precomps, perhaps a combination of fractal noise, solids and masks that give the edges some movement. Then you could take your video and create a new composition. Add the matte to your new video comp and change the videos track matte to luma matte.

Again, sorry about earlier suggestion, couldn't see the picture on the other computer I was using.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:10:25 pm

totally lost mate complete novice in after effects but thanks for all the help maybe in a few months i will understand it all.

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:29:39 pm

Let's concentrate on the first idea, masking the video, to eliminate the hard edges.

First, press "cntl + 1", this opens your tools window if it isn't already open. One of the tools looks like a box, with a pulldown option, select the pulldown and choose the elipse tool(looks like an oval).

Click on your the homeless video layer and now draw draw a circle around your video, a circle that is almost as large as the video.

Now twirl down open your homeless video layer, twirl open "Masks" and "Mask 1" adjust the Mask Feather property. If the mask you made is too large, it may extend to the original video edges, you can shrink the mask by adjusting the "mask expansion" property to a negative number.

I created a quick example project to demostrate everything I did, hope this helps you finish your project.

3534_overlayingvideofolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:17:33 pm

dood ur u have some mad skills this is exactly what i wanted. thanks for taking the time to give all this information.

again creative cow ROCKS!!!

Many Thanks
Lloyd Rivers

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: add video to a wall
by on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:44:13 pm

Since you're new to After Effects, I would highly suggest you start here: [link] The resources there will help you get a handle on some of the basics.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]