ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean lloydWrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:37:16 am

Hi All,

I have looked around here and on the web to fix what seems like a simple problem.
I imported a 1920 x 1080 ProRes 422 clip into AE. I just added some rain to the clip and then added it to my render queue. The clip is 16x9 which is how it looks when I worked and rendered.it in the queue. But when I check it in the finder or back in FCP it is squeezed and 4x3. I read something about checking the lock aspect ratio box in the output module, which I did, but to no avail. This seems like a strange way for the program to operate. What you put it is what should come out, but that is not happening for me. I figured out that I can stretch it back out in FCP, but I want to find out why it is doing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much...Ian

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Wrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:45:10 pm

what were the comp settings and render settings when you rendered. particularly the frame size, pixel aspect ratio of the comp and the codec for the render out of after effects.

some codecs are not square pixel (hdv, dvcprohd, etc.) and usually squeeze a 1080 frame size to 1440x1080 (4x3) with a par of 1.33.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

sean lloydRe: Wrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:25:51 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response. The comp settings are custom 1920x 1080 and I changed the pixel aspect ratio
from DVCPRO HD to square. That corrected the aspect ratio problem, but the picture is still smaller than my ProRes 422 HQ sequence. Any ideas on that? And thanks very much for the advice...Ian

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Wrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:48:39 pm

[sean lloyd] "The comp settings are custom 1920x 1080 and I changed the pixel aspect ratio from DVCPRO HD to square."

a short cut to ensure that the comp has the same properties as the clip is to drag the footage from the project window to the 'new comp' icon (looks like a little film frame) at the bottom of the project window. that way the frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect and duration all match.

[sean lloyd] "the picture is still smaller than my ProRes 422 HQ sequence"

what size is it? if you import the file back into ae, and select it in the project window, at the top of that window it should give you some data about the footage, including the frame size.

also, how are you rendering? if you are choosing file>export, then ae may be rendering at the current comp viewing size (like 50%). you should choose composition>add to render queue and make sure the render settings are set to 'best' (you can even click 'best' and make sure that the output resolution is set to 'full').

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

sean lloydRe: Wrong Aspect Ration From Render Output AE
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:02:43 pm

Hi Kevin,

I do know that short cut. I think that I used it, but could be wrong. I rendered it by adding it to the render queue. It was set for Best settings and Lossless and 1920x1080.

I already put it back in my sequence, and have more than enough resolution to make it work. Next time I use it, I will go through these exact steps before I start to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Thanks very much for your help...Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]