COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathieu LeducUltra Slow Render After Effect CS 5.5
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 3:48:18 am

My spec
I7 950
18BG Ram
2X Sata3 500GB

Im new into After Effect. Im used to Avisynth and VirtualDub. At 1st I tried my new Neat Video and few other filter on a shot video (18sec) as a test. It took 8 minutes to render all of this in After Effect. I was doing the same thing with avisynth in 2 minutes.

So I look into the forum and tried to setup the multithreading correctly. But nothing working. So right now im trying to encore a video, without any filter or effect. I took a 11 minutes and re-encode it in Lossless format, no audio. Just this basic step took 6:30minutes to after effect to render it. I took 1:50minutes to virtualdub.

There must be something I dont know or I dont setup correctly. Why After Affect take forever and use so mutch RAM without good result. Please tell tell me a good way to set this program. The render take is really too long and ridiculous.

I already setup Multi-thread,

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Ultra Slow Render After Effect CS 5.5
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:03:39 pm

well, the short answer is that ae is not a realtime app.

but, it can do a lot more (a whole lot more) than virtualdub or avisynth.

if you are doing something simple like simply running a clip through neat video, then knowing you can turn that faster with avisynth than ae can help your workflow. if you want to further effect, composite or add motion graphics, then you'll want to turn to something like after effects.

to start to see what you can do with ae, take a look at some of the tutorials at

also, neat video uses the gpu to accelerate the processing. by in large ae users don't use gpu acceleration due to accuracy issues, but if you are using an effect like that, you might check to see if there is an option to enable gpu use in the effect settings, and also make sure that gpu acceleration is enabled for ae (preferences>previews) and see if that improves the performance in ae.

as for ram usage, to do simple effects on video, ae would not use much ram at all. where it will really start using ram is when you are compositing a comp with lots of layers, nested comps and effects.... ae needs to cache all the data from those layers to ram in order to send that data to the cpu from processing. if you have multiple cpus, then each needs its own cache of ram (the buffer ram can't be shared between cpus), so the ram requirement for a process goes up by a factor of the number of cpus used.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Mathieu LeducRe: Ultra Slow Render After Effect CS 5.5
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:53:39 pm

thank you for replying me.
I do understand for Neat Video. I will try to contact them and get a VirtualDub license instead of my After Effect License.
What I dont understand is this. I can see a small difference when Multi-thread is ON. 30% to 50% faster maximum. I have a 2 minutes video. I make a composition with 1 layer only. I setup BCC Film Process and set the saturation and thing like this. For jsut 1 filter, I took 7minutes to render, on a 2 minutes video. This is a pain. Does my computer is broken or its normal ??? There must me a way to get more than 2-3 FPS render

Return to posts index

Mathieu LeducRe: Ultra Slow Render After Effect CS 5.5
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:25:38 am

Just for let you know. I achieved to get 30fps with Neat video in avisynth MT mode. This is my script.

# I7 950 4.1 MHz @ 100% CPU #
# @ 33,80FPS #
LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:Users7DocumentsRenderSoftwaresVirtualDub-1.9.11pluginsNeatVideo.vdf", "NeatVideo", 1)
NeatVideo("C:Users7DocumentsNeat Video for", "C:Users7DocumentsNeat Video for VirtualDubPresets2008_06_08.nfp", "0.0", "1", "0", "0")
GetMTMode(false) > 0 ? distributor() : last

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved