ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smooth animation of text font

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxim TincuSmooth animation of text font
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:26:13 am

Hi,
I want to make this style of font animation - https://vimeo.com/50080784 at 39 sec. I don't get it how he could achieve such smooth animation from one font to other.

Thank you

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Smooth animation of text font
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 1:20:54 pm

It's a technique where you change the text into shape layers, try and match up vertexes and then animate between the two. Check out this tutorial.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Smooth animation of text font
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 3:36:50 pm

Regarding the typography:

For me, this type of treatment takes quite a bit of time. I like to build each title card first in Illustrator, and then outline the text and copy-paste the paths into a solid layer. One bit that is a giant pita is to set the "correct" mask points to the first vertex: right click a point on the mask > Mask and path shape > Set First Vertex.

Then set a key frame for that mask path, and copy/paste to a new location to set a keyframe. Then copy a new mask onto that keyframe. Suppose you want to turn an "F" into a "Z." You'd copy the mask.

Remember also that AE's render order is SMET (Source, mask, effects, transform), so scaling a layer will "ruin" the mask.

I'm all ears if someone has a better way.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Smooth animation of text font
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 3:46:44 pm

Sorry, posted the wrong link...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Maxim TincuRe: Smooth animation of text font
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 3:54:33 pm

Thank you very much John. This is what I was looking for. I have used paths, but the final result was horrible. I didn't know about "Set First Vertex" option. Thank you very much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]