ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan LeeAfter Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:32:15 am

Hi all

I've been searching for hours literally on this and trying different settings and can't seem to figure this out.

I'm in AE CS5 and I've been attempting to export a 1620x1080 composition size timelapse made from 1620x1080 (3:2) stills.

The preliminary attempt with 1080x720 stills in a 1080x720 (3:2) worked, Output Module Format: H264, resulting filesize, around 7mb.

When I try to do the 1620x1080 version, the exclamation mark comes up about a settings mismatch- Output files will be resized from 1620x1080 (1.00 PAR) to 720 x 1080 (2.00 PAR). That is 720 x 1080, not 1080 x 720.

I tried doing a Output Module Quicktime, H.264, and that produced a file, but it was 220mb. Also, I don't really understand how that didn't yield an error also.

I tried also doing H.264, clearing the settings mismatch by clicking resize and setting it to 1080:720 and it rendered a file, which wouldn't play, Quicktime saying it was possibly damaged. I tried repeating this several times to make sure it wasn't a faulty render, but it kept repeating this error.

I tried doing a lossless Output and then using Adobe Media Encoder (which for the time being, I would rather not use to simplify workflow), that yielded a file as well, but also relatively large, or letterboxing the output using one of the presets.

The timelapse is only 30 seconds long, so 200+mb is a bit impractical.

Bottom line, I'm trying to understand what I need to rectify in the Output module under H.264 or in composition 'x:y' settings in a 3:2 ratio (as the files from my DSLR are natively 3:2, not 16:9) bigger than 1080x720 to resolve the settings mismatch. Or how to get 1620:1080 to work as it has 1080 lines of horizontal resolution, which is also desirable.

Any insight, feedback and assistance would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan

ps. Happy holidays!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:44:04 pm

Most pros output a lossless file from AE and then use the Adobe Media Encoder (or something like it) to do the final file. One of the reasons being that you can test out various compression settings without having to rerender your AE comp every time. The other reason is that AE can't do multipass encoding. Multipass encoding gets you better-looking video at smaller file sizes.

You should be able to get a smaller video that looks better out of the Adobe Media Encoder, you just have to mess with the settings.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:08:46 pm

Michael's correct: render a lossless file in AE and use something else.

There are a few good reasons for doing so, but the one that directly affects your inability to render is this: AE follows the compression rules more closely than in the past, so it won't compress odd comp sizes like yours.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan LeeRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:02:21 am

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Paul WhishawRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:33:31 pm

Sorry to crash your thread boys but I have a similar question.

We have to export a very unusual sized video. 7632x1050. This size seems to be hated by almost everything except Animation codecs and uncompressed AVI. The original video is exported from After Effects and sent to Premiere. From there I try to encode it but only the above codecs will render, and they are HUGE. I can't get H.264 or pretty much ant other useful and compact codec to work as it always says I need to increase the profile and level or reduce the frame dimension. SO I crank thoise to the highest setting but still not high enough. I have the same trouble in After Effects when I try to end run around Adobe Media Encoder. I get the "Setting Mismatch" exclamation mark and it resizes my video to 4000x1050.

Any ideas on this one?

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:07:31 pm

If Adobe Media Encoder won't allow it, you will probably have to use a different compression application.

Here's a thought: do you have AE 9 (CS4), plus its accompanying Adobe Media Encoder? Try using it instead. The "standard size limitation" wasn't in that version yet. It might do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul WhishawRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:29:44 pm

I don't have access to CS4 on this computer. I don't get it. It's just pixels. We should be able to push them in any direction we see fit.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index

Valentin GrégoireRe: After Effects Output Module h.264 'settings mismatch' problem.
by on Jul 11, 2014 at 10:05:04 am

Just put in the format option 5.1 as level :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]