ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make an even selection?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Doll
How to make an even selection?
on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:35:03 pm

This has been bothering me to no end. What is the key combo to make an even selection? In photoshop its shift+drag.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to make an even selection?
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48:12 pm

I know very little about Photoshop. Exactly what kinds of things do you want to evenly select in AE?

If you make a mask on a layer, Shift-drag will keep a rectangular mask square, and an elliptical mask circular. Is that what you're talking about?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ray Doll
on Dec 29, 2011 at 5:06:00 am

Your post is correct - it does. I have found the solution: in After Effects CS5.5, to make an an even selection you use shift drag, BUT you have CLICK first, THEN press SHIFT (unlike in Photoshop CS5.1 and most Adobe programs, where you hold shift FIRST, THEN click and drag.) The order of operation is crucial, because in Photoshop you would want to depress shift first, then release the mouse button (if you don't do it this way, you risk messing up the selection). As far as I have figured out, in AE shift also deselects the layer or something silly like that, so shift then drag just ends up in frustration. However if you click, THEN shift, then drag, it works.

Phew.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48:31 pm

I know very little about Photoshop. Exactly what kinds of things do you want to evenly select in AE?

If you make a mask on a layer, Shift-drag will keep a rectangular mask square, and an elliptical mask circular. Is that what you're talking about?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:54:44 pm

I don't know what you mean by "an even selection". In what context are you trying to do this particular selection?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:58:32 am

The selection shortcuts should be the same in AE and PS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]