ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE won't play AVI video.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephane GeorgeAE won't play AVI video.
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 7:27:07 pm

Hi there,

Id been using AE for a few month now, and suddenly whenever i import an AVI file it doesnt preview in AE, I can see the soundtrack but not the image. To edit my video I have to convert it to a different format e.g. Mp4, which is a real pain when you have to deal with a few video.

It will render as Avi but for whatever reason it wont preview it.
I read somewhere that it is associated with Quicktime PLayer, cause my QP doesnt play Avi as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE won't play AVI video.
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:15:33 pm

What codec do these AVI files use? You can have so many different kinds of codec in an AVI container and some of them are just awful.

Also, have you downloaded a codec pack like k-lite or something? If so, get rid of it immediately! That stuff is awful!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Stephane GeorgeRe: AE won't play AVI video.
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:30:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I did install k-lite. I didnt know it was that bad, i thought it would help resolve the situation.

But how do I get rid of it, and when I remove it, should I install any other package.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:51:47 pm

You don't need any codec packages. The Adobe software comes with all it needs.

Do a Google search for how to uninstall K-lite. I've never had to do it, so I don't know what's involved.

Yeah, K-lite is bad. There are tons of issues on various forums with various professional video software that's been because of it.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:33:05 pm

Also, Other video format works on AE. Its just that my camcorder record the video in AVI format.

When i convert it to other format it work perfectly. Just to experiment i used a video converter to convert the AVI from my cam to AVI again and surprisinly it works.

Can anyone explain that to me,

Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:53:31 pm

[Stephane George] Just to experiment i used a video converter to convert the AVI from my cam to AVI again and surprisinly it works.

AVI is just a container. It can hold any of a number of codecs. Something on your system is keeping AE from reading whatever codec is in the footage. When you convert it, you're converting it to another codec.

Does that explain it?

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2011 at 12:53:45 pm

HI, thanks for all the help.
I just removed the k-lite package and still no results. If you have any more tips/feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: AE won't play AVI video.
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:05:26 pm

Detailed explanation may be found here -
http://www.jmcgowan.com/avi.html

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:41:18 pm

HI, Im still not having any luck with After Effects reading my Avi files. Its h.264 format. I have try using ffdshow and change h.264 to libracodec but it still doesnt work.

As well, the h.264 Avi doesnt play on my quicktime player.
Its says a codec is missing, and everywhere i read its says im missing a codec or something.

Can Anyone please help me, cause I have a small movie project to do and its going to take my ages to convert all the video from my camera to a different format before editing it in After Effect.

Thanks in Advance :):)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]