ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects, how to create a digital clock flashing effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elaine ellisAfter Effects, how to create a digital clock flashing effect.
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 3:52:07 pm

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm new to this forum and new to After Effects.

I need to create a digital clock countdown that flashes when it reaches 00:00:00. If you imagine when you unplug a digital clock or when you have a power cut and any digital clock flashes, that's what I need to create.

I've created a digital clock face and created a countdown but I need help with the final part.

thanks

elaine x

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: After Effects, how to create a digital clock flashing effect.
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 5:07:19 pm

An easy way to do that would be to use a loop expression on a set of opacity keyframes. Just set three opacity HOLD keyframes 10 frames apart with the opacity % set in this order: 100, 0, 100. Then alt + click the opacity stopwatch and type in this expression and hit enter:

loopOut (Type="cycle")

Now you can just select and drag those three keyframes to where you want the blinking to start in your timeline. Also, if you select all three and hold down alt and drag either end keyframe you can stretch them out to make the blinking faster or slower.

HTH

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects, how to create a digital clock flashing effect.
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 7:40:22 pm

There are several ways to do things in After Effects. In this case I would probably go Erik's route, but you can also use the Strobe Light effect [link] to do the same thing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

elaine ellisRe: After Effects, how to create a digital clock flashing effect.
by on Dec 28, 2011 at 5:54:13 pm

Thankyou both that was incredibly helpful, worked perfectly. x

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]