ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to Fix An Eyeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul GlennHow to Fix An Eyeline
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 3:37:08 pm

Okay, I'm new to AE. I'm putting together a corporate training video with some motion graphics, etc. I have a piece of video wherein the actor's eyes keep looking off-camera (at a cue card or whatever). It's extremely distracting, and I wonder if there is a way to "fix" her eyes in one place (i.e., looking at the camera), while allowing the rest of her head to move naturally.

I'm proficient in Photoshop, and it seems like some of AE's features work the same way, so I'm thinking perhaps I could do this by masking out the whites of her eyes, and putting a fixed image of her pupils behind the mask? Or something?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How to Fix An Eyeline
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 3:55:33 pm

How much does her head move?
Without seeing the footage, I would say that (in general) yes; you can grab a still frame of her eyes and motion track them to her head.
Although, I'd use a looped clip of her eyes if possible. That way any video noise will be there and not conspicuous due to its absence.

Motion tracking info here: [link]

Although, as someone new to AE, I should warn you that you shouldn't just jump right into it. It's a much more complicated piece of software to use than Photoshop. For beginners in AE, I suggest starting here: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul GlennRe: How to Fix An Eyeline
by on Dec 27, 2011 at 4:31:32 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. Her head moves a bit, but it's not too much. I appreciate the link on motion tracking.

I haven't exactly "jumped right into it," I've been working my way through tutorials, and the AdobeTV materials, and so forth. I've got a fairly decent grasp, at this point, on the basics, but I definitely have a lot to learn. You're right, in that it seems a lot more complex than the other apps in CS5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved