ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New with AE, trying to get my compositions to play continuously with a song.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tabby Leadlove
New with AE, trying to get my compositions to play continuously with a song.
on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:45:03 pm

I am making a lyrics video, I have 22 compositions and all of the lyrics are synchronized with the song, but I can't get the compositions to play one right after another. The first composition will play, and the song will continue to play, but the next composition with the lyrics won't play. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

3447_diarrheabetesvideo.aep.zip

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: New with AE, trying to get my compositions to play continuously with a song.
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:37:21 am

Drag your music onto the make new comp icon and name your comp "01 Master".

If I'm reading and understanding what you did, Pre-comp 1 is the first line in your music. Take that and drag it into your new compostion. Now move forward in time to the place you want your last word"UHHH" to end and press " alt + ] ".

Now take "2" and drop it into your "01 Master" and repeat the step to cut the layer. Do this for all your compositions. When you have everything layed out. You will need to render out a movie and you do that by pressing "cntl + shift + /"

Finally, you really need to take Michael's advice and go through the basic tutorials he linked to before. You are trying to fly before you have learned to walk.

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: New with AE, trying to get my compositions to play continuously with a song.
on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:28:53 pm

I didn't explain that very well last night. You also would need to trim your in points also.

So when you put video 2 into your master timeline, you have move to the point where "2" starts and press "alt + [" to set the inpoint. Then move to the outpoint and press "alt + ]".

Anyway, I set up a final comp for you. I don't have the music, so I just used the first word of each comp as the inpoint time. I didn't do trim all the outpoints.

3451_3447diarrheabetesvideocs5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Tabby Leadlove
on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:01:45 pm

I did the alt + ] and [ .... do you just press the alt and ] buttons? Also when I tried to render the master composition, the audio was out of wack..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 24, 2011 at 12:37:14 pm

did the alt + ] and [ .... do you just press the alt and ] buttons?

Yes, just the alt and [ button to set the in-point of a layer, and the close point for the out-point.

Also when I tried to render the master composition, the audio was out of wack..

I'm going to just use Dave LaRonde's answer:
Mp3 audio, that's what. AE does not like compressed audio in any way, shape or form. It never has worked well with it. Perhaps it never will. You need to convert it -- plus any other types of compressed audio files -- to either wav or aiff files.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Tabby Leadlove
on Dec 26, 2011 at 3:10:46 am

Thank you , I am using http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-aiff
but it has been 10 minutes and its still at 0% ...... i finally got the in & out points down , just working on converting the mp3 to aiff.... any suggestions that I dont have to download? Once again thank you sooo much for the help. Next time I'll be sure to read up on it before getting into this mess again :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:41:54 pm

There's one thing you can do IMMEDIATELY: change that mp3 to either aiff or wav. AE hates compressed audio like mp3's.

I also see that you're a newcomer to this forum, which leads one to believe that you're new to AE. You should know that this application has a very steep learning curve, and that a couple of tutorials found on YouTube or whatever are of very little help without a thorough grounding in the AE basics.

AE is almost 20 years old. It started gaining popularity shortly thereafter among video & film pros, who already knew their stuff. A lot of the conventions used in AE reflect that "I already know what I'm doing" mind set.

But now it's widely available to people with little grounding in such topics as interlacing, frame rate, codec selection, etc. They can easily get lost. Unfortunately, they can also give up using AE as a bad job, and that's a shame.

I strongly recommend a visit here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Don't take this as slam on your intelligence or abilities. AE comes with its own baggage, and you have to deal with it in order to realize success.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tabby Leadlove
on Dec 23, 2011 at 6:27:32 pm

Thank you for replying. I know I've jumped into this and got ahead of myself, so I will definitely check out the links you two have listed and try to figure this out. If I have anymore problems after that, I will reply to the forum.. Thanks :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]