ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

D1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David WebberD1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:28:20 pm

Problem
In aftereffects can edit in D1 codec but i cant export as D1.

In short I am doing motion graphics work and I want export in the same format I am editing in.
So I go to make movie then output module / format options / video codec and no D1. Am i missing something? I tried both avi nd quicktime file formats but the D1 codec is not displayed...
I would work in d50 NTSC but it is not a choice in my comp settings.

I do lot of special effects like blending modes, chroma key etc.. I render out files and export them and re-reinport into other projects ect...

Needs -i need a HQ Standard definition workflow in a full flavor codec that wont too intensive for my raid.... (uncompressed is too much for my system)
thoughts suggestions?

I have PC win7 with ADOBE Production Suite 5.5

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: D1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:49:00 pm

[David Webber] "In aftereffects can edit in D1 codec but i cant export as D1."

Correction: you can work in D1 RESOLUTION. There's no such thing as a D1 CODEC.

To see the codec & media container (avi, qt, mxf, etc.) of your clips, highlight one in the AE project window and look at the clip information at the very top of the window.

[David Webber] "i need a HQ Standard definition workflow in a full flavor codec that wont too intensive for my raid.... "

Sorry, but "full flavor codec" isn't very descriptive. Do you mean lossless? One that supports Alpha Channels? If so, I recommend Quicktime's PNG codec. If you're resolved to use windows-centric media, someone else will have to recommend something.

To avoid rendering in Premiere, you could always render in the media container & codec of your imported clips. Image quality could degrade by doing so, however. How much? No clue. At this point, even you don't know that information yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David WebberRe: D1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:34:48 pm

Hello Dave thanks for the response :)

So what comp settings and export codec would you recommend for someone do is doing lots of blending modes and chroma key work?

DV NTSC 4:1:1 is no good, so ideally i need a slightly compressed codec that is 4:4:4 and supports alpha channels if there is such a thing.

I tried rendering out in aftereffects as Uncompressed 8bit but it is giving my RAID some trouble so I was hoping there would be a codec that is less intensive. I dont have a lot of HD space so file size and bandwidth is an issue.

Perhaps i should just set my comp settings to DV NTSC and export as d50?

any thoughts or comments would be a huge help.
david w

PC win 7 Adobe CS5.5 16gig ram, gtx570, ssd, lacie RAID

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:22:58 pm

[David Webber] "So what comp settings and export codec would you recommend for someone do is doing lots of blending modes and chroma key work? "

It's based on what you're expected to deliver when your AE project is complete. Without that knowledge, I can't tell you.

[David Webber] "...ideally i need a slightly compressed codec that is 4:4:4 and supports alpha channels if there is such a thing. "

I doubt you can gain access to it: ProRes 4444, available only to those with Final Cut Pro 7 installed. As I mentioned earlier, quicktime's PNG codec is fine.

[David Webber] "Perhaps i should just set my comp settings to DV NTSC and export as d50? "

Without knowledge of what you're doing, that's impossible to answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David WebberRe: D1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:49:47 pm

Well in terms of output I need broadcast quality SD. No DVD mpeg output. I am also using these files for projection where quality matters.

I am MAC FCP person using a new PC Adobe set up and I want to set up a consistent workflow.
My working process often includes processing footage with fx, export and then re-import into new timeline to process again. It makes the ram previews go quicker etc.. So ideally my comp settings and export settings should be the same. For some reason i thought i could export in D1 quality. So I imagine i should just keep my comp settings DV NTSC and export d50.

thank you for all your advice! I have a lot to learn :)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:45:19 pm

If you're a former FCP guy, you'll find Adobe's Help stuff is worse Apple's Help stuff. At least Apple would give you a flippin' manual. AE & Premiere's online Help, while good for reference and very searchable, stink in ice as learning tools.

To get the biggest bang for the buck out of Production Premium, do yourself a favor: invest in some training materials. They'll help a LOT. Check out Total Training, Lynda.com, and Peachpit press for Premiere & AE stuff.

If you liked the tight integration between FCP & Motion, Production Premium works similarly with Premiere & AE via Dynamic Link.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: D1 NTSC Standard Definition workflow
by on Dec 17, 2011 at 12:33:16 pm

hi there, here's my thoughts...

dv50 is 4:2:2 at 50mpbs.

There's dvcpro hd at 100mbps.

Prores SD is also 4:2:2 and 64 mbps. pretty darn close.

Prores is also 10bit, A tad nicer for gradients in skies.

DNxHD can bounce around up to 220 Mbit/s with a bit depth of 10 and can install on both pc and mac. Can you encode prores on pc? I don't think so!

Now most of these won't go bad until more than 5 generations where you see a visible loss. Clients will give you various formats, get ready to handle them all.

and btw d1 has extra 8 pixels compared to dvd's 486 to 480 which has nothing to do with a specific codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]