ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
louis shula
Export settings
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:56:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I have some files to edit in After Effects and i'm unsure of the set up and export settings to use.
The original format of the files is as so:

.mov
format: H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz.
FPS 25.

I would like to know which settings to use when making a new composition with these files?

Also which settings to use for exporting?

I need to export twice - once as best quality and once suitable for internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export settings
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:50:35 pm

First, tell us the version of AE you run, and the amount of memory you machine contains. The platform (Mac/Win) would be helpful as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

louis shula
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:04:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply!

I have CS5 version of After Effects,4gb memory and I'm using a Mac book pro.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:36:58 pm

To create the proper comp, drag a video clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window.
DO NOT USE MULTIPROCESSING. You don't have enough memory for it.
Don't use Open GL to speed up rendering. It doesn't work properly.
Use the AE Render Queue to make a lossless file. I like quicktime movies in the PNG codec. You will be amazed by the file size. You'll need to get used to that.
Use Adobe Media Encoder and your lossless file from AE to make a file for internet use. An H.264 file at 1280x720 should be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

louis shula
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:49:33 pm

Thanks so much, that's very helpful!

Return to posts index

joseph borg
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:45:25 pm

Hi , Im a newbe, My machine is 2GB ram OS- win 7 32bit.my first project is to make animated line across a map to include in a slideshow which will be edited/created in power director 9.The final product will be a DVD (inc menu).And I guess widescreen is the way to go.here in this region we use pal.
How do I go about it? Not sure what format to go with or pixel aspect ratio etc..thanks :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:06:17 pm

You only have 2 gigs of memory? How do you even keep the operating system running and keep After Effects open? You won't be able to do much of anything until you have at least 8GB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

joseph borg
on Dec 18, 2011 at 11:02:47 pm

yes i have 2 gigs of ram, OS win 7 ultimate 32bit (upgraded from Vista.) CPU Intel core 2 duo t7300 @ 2Ghz.
Well , doing small projects it not to bad however if I work with HD it preview really slow. but thats all I have at the moment. cant afford a new pc at the mo :(
I just want to create some animations like i mentioned previously and maybe some text animations to include them in a slideshow in Power director.(containing photos and video clips)Im just overwhelmed at how much import settings exist.
I just want to burn to a dvd that will be viewed on widescreen tv sets mainly on dvd players.
Questions; does it have to be in pal or ntsc? does it even matter for dvd playback?
what about pixel aspect ratio?
what file format? mpeg4? mov? QT?
Lossless I guess is the way to go
Im afraid AE projects will clash in PD?
I dont know
Sorry for too many questions

Merry Christmas xx

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:54:04 pm

[joseph borg] I just want to burn to a dvd that will be viewed on widescreen tv sets mainly on dvd players.
Questions; does it have to be in pal or ntsc? does it even matter for dvd playback?
what about pixel aspect ratio?
what file format? mpeg4? mov? QT?
Lossless I guess is the way to go
Im afraid AE projects will clash in PD?

PAL or NTSC? For playback in a DVD player, it matters a whole lot. You mentioned in a previous post that in your region you use PAL. So use PAL. There is a preset composition size in After Effects for a PAL widescreen aspect ratio comp. I would suggest you use it.

File format to export should be a lossless file. Quicktime with the PNG codec works pretty well. Then you would use the Adobe Media Encoder, Quicktime Pro, or some other program to do your final compression. As to what format and codec to use for your final compression, that would depend on the intended final playback. MPEG-2 DVD would be the best bet. Again, there's a preset in the Adobe Media Encoder for that. Although, if you have the Creative Suite, you could import your lossless file into Encore and let it do the compression settings for you. It's very good.

As to your comment about AE projects clashing in PD, I don't know what you mean so I can't answer it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

joseph borg
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:52:33 pm

Thats great Micheal, however there is still some few more settings that trouble me.
Things like interlaced, upper or lower field, square or non square pixel, frame rate
In render settings should I leave settings as they are?

In compression settings, should I check interlace?
Should I check audio settings and set to maximum 48khz,16bit stereo?

I think thats all for exporting. thanks a lot man

Merry Christmas xx

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:39:48 pm

For your export settings, match your comp settings.
I wouldn't interlace it unless your particular situation required it. (From your description, I would say no.)

You should only check the audio box, if you have audio in your comp.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

joseph borg
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:41:17 pm

Ok
I just want to create an animated map and some text effects. I will then import these clips into Power Director 9 for the final editing and production of my project.( I was thinking I was to edit and produce my whole project in AE)

So what I learned so far is that I will save these AE clips as lossless, Quick Time with png encoder .Other settings like frame rate etc I will match them to the video clips format from my footage I took with my compact camera.
Does that sound right? :))
thanks a lot for your help :)

Merry Christmas xx

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:26:39 am

I've never worked with Power Director so I don't know the sort of things it prefers.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Usman Hussain
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:42:45 pm

I'm having pathetic type of Export problem :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:08:20 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, but without a description of your problem and details about your computer and software, how do you expect anyone to be able to help you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:55:06 pm

What about audio settings out of AE for upload to internet. The default says 48k uncompressed 16 bit. My video is about a minute and a half long and I just added some text in a few places.... Should i change these settings to make it smaller?

Wow this is an old post!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:28:51 am

Just use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode your video, and use AME's youtube settings. Nothin' to it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]