ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Mac configuration right now for after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Winthrop
Best Mac configuration right now for after effects
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:25:35 am

Hi. I'm an amateur 2-d amimation/video person. I have taught myself AE on an OLD Mac book pro and it simply does not have the capability to run that program and store all my graphics. I draw and scan in and then add video. But now it barely runs on my current comp and is impossible to use effectively.

I'm ready for a new computer and have converted quite a bit of credit card points into apple gift cards so while money is still a consideration, I have around 4k to play around with (between the gift cards and my $ combined)

I just don't know what configuration to get...and I'd appreciate some advice. Also I would LOVE another laptop since I travel a lot and when I'm traveling is when I have the most time to spend on this avocation. However I don't want to make a bad choice out of convenience. Do you think a Mac book pro is up to the task? And if not what configuration of a Mac pro do yo all advise?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your feedback.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best Mac configuration right now for after effects
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:26:20 pm

Do you also intend to upgrade your version of AE with the purchase of a new computer? It's an important consideration. If not, we'd need to know your current version.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lisa Winthrop
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:34:14 pm

Thanks for responding! I would have the most current version of AE.

Return to posts index

Lisa Winthrop
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:53:29 pm

Actually I think I'd stick with the version I know...the CS3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:20:11 pm

I don't know if you'll be able to, because I don't know if CS3 will work on the latest Apple OS, Lion. Someone a lot smarter than me in the ways of Adobe & Apple would have to supply an answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lisa Winthrop
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:30:11 pm

Well I'll use what ever version world with the new operating system.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:29:32 pm

a mbp would work fine for ae... obviously a macpro tower would perform better (faster, more cpus and holds more ram), but the mbp will run ae fine.

if you are choosing a lower-end mbp (the 13-inch), opt for the one with the core i7 processor. with hyper-threading the core i7 has 2x the cores of the core i5, so roughly 2x the processing power.

ram is the other big thing to consider purchasing a system for ae. simply put, the more ram you have the better off you'll be. you'll get better performance in ae and have fewer problems. you should consider maxing the mbp out (it holds 8gb max). also, you can find ram much cheaper than at apple, try looking at otherworldcomputing.com or crucial.com.

if you are deciding between the higher-end models, for ae work, the graphics processor will not matter, so if you were looking at a few hundred bucks more for the 15-inch model with a better gpu and more vram, get the cheaper 15-inch model and spend the extra cash on more ram -- note that other apps, like premiere, can rely heavily on gpu, so that may be a factor you need to consider.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:58:20 pm

actually it looks like you can get memory kits up to 16gb:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]