ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Having trouble rendering .mov on AE CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dara ChanHaving trouble rendering .mov on AE CS5
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:40:42 pm

Hi there!

I'm working off a limit of 4 gbs of ram and running ae cs5. I'm rendering a movie created in AE and outputting as quicktime mov without a codec. The render completes without error (I do not run anything else other then ae5 on this computer)

The final .mov file is 2.15 gbs, and whenever I try to open it in quicktime or sorenson squeeze, they state that the file is not recognized.

When rendering small clips, the .mov turned out fine. Why is it that the file doesn't open when I render the entire clip? How can I solve this problem? Please help!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Having trouble rendering .mov on AE CS5
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:24:22 pm

[Dara Chan] " I'm rendering a movie created in AE and outputting as quicktime mov without a codec."

just for clarification, when you say 'without a codec' do you mean you selected 'none' from the format options?

technically 'none' is a codec, but there is no compression being done when the file is encoded.

if that's not what you mean, please elaborate on the settings you used to render this file... i'd would be a bit surprised if quicktime could not open a .mov with 'none' selected for the compression settings...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dara ChanRe: Having trouble rendering .mov on AE CS5
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:29:41 pm

Kevin, thanks for your speedy response,

I have selected quicktime from the format and under video output >format options>none.

I don't understand why it will not play. If I render the video at a quarter quality, it will play, however, when I render it at full at those format setting, the video is not recognized.

I can render snippets of the video at full which will play fine.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:38:43 pm

how about if you import the rendered file back into ae? can ae import and play the file, or does it to give an error?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:42:22 pm

Ae doesn't recognize the file either.

Curious... would there be another way to go around this, for example, pasting snippets together to make one whole video? The only problem to that solution would be that I would have to further compress those snippets which would cause the gradient in my video to look like rings.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:02:07 pm

try rendering to a compressed file to see if creating a smaller file size helps.

from the format settings, try selecting photo-jpeg and set the quality to 90-95 and render that.

this will nearly lossless, you really won't be able to see any difference, but the file size will be roughly one-third the size.

see if you can open that back into ae, and if so, try quicktime.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:29:04 pm

HI Kevin,

I performed a sample render at motion-jpeg B because photo-jpeg doesn't have audio.
It seemed to open in quicktime, now performing a full render in motion-jpeg B in hopes it will work. Will let you know soon!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Having trouble rendering .mov on AE CS5
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:45:44 pm

You really need to get more memory on your machine. 4 gigs may seem like a lot, but you hardly have enough to run the operating system and the application at the same time. AE uses a LOT of memory. I recommend a minimum of 8 GB, and 16 GB to successfully use multiprocessing.

If you have multiprocessing turned on, turn it off.
And for good measure, if you have Open GL turned on, turn it off.
You should also check to see that your version of AE 10 is fully updated.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:29:31 pm

i think you tried to render a jpeg image sequence.

a quicktime with photo-jpeg compression does allow audio, it creates a .mov media file just like 'none' or 'lossless' would.

for clarification, in the output module, you'd choose 'quicktime movie' for the format and then click the format options button and choose 'photo-jpeg' for the compression. then don't forget to enable the audio output option in the output module.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:52:48 pm

Hi Kevin and Dave,

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it! I've managed to render it successfully without obvious gradient banding at full resolution to motion-jpeg A. I'm still puzzled as to why after effects cannot open a file that it has rendered, but I guess it's one of those mysteries of the world (or I can chalk it up to lack of RAM).

Working with Sorenson Squeeze now to export to youtube.

:)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:44:06 pm

my guess is that your system has a problem with really large files... that could be due the the file structure of the hard drive that the file was rendered to. you'd need to look into what the formatting is for that drive.

also, if you are trying to develop a workflow for this process for future projects, i would try some other codecs other than motion-jpeg for rendering from after effects... as you noted banding and other artifacts can be problematic with that codec.

quicktime photo-jpeg is a very good option (again, that's not the same as a jpeg sequence), even cutting the quality down to 75 would probably get better quality than motion-jpeg and it will work for hd or sd (or any frame size really).

for hd, if you have either apple prores or avid dnxhd would be pretty good options. even dvcpro hd (or dvcpro100) isn't too bad.

if it's sd, then dvcpro50 (or dv50) could suffice.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]