ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating Grain for use in FCP?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smithCreating Grain for use in FCP?
by on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:48:24 pm

Hello,

I am grading a film in DaVinci Resolve and need to add some grain and have control of that grain in FCP as an overlay - I also want to have some nice varieties of grain for possible use in Resolve also using composite modes - i just figure for now since I need to do the online anyways I might as well just do it in FCP when adding final mix, gfx, etc to my Davinci renders.

ANy help would be great win that I am really beginner wit hAE - do I need to create alpha, should it be larger than 1080 or be the same resolution of my project? The footage is coming from 4/5 r3d files but I am rendering to ProRess4444 1080 23.98 for the finishing in fcp.

thank you in advance.
andrew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating Grain for use in FCP?
by on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:09:33 pm

AE has an entire category of effects called Noise and Grain Effects:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

It tough to tell you how to proceed since we don't know the nature of the grain you want to match.

Frame rate is important; when it comes to frame rates, AE calls a spade a spade. You'll want to set the frame rate of your comp at 23.976.

Rendering: Go with a 1920x1080, square-pixel AE comp. Once you know you have transparency for your animated grain, Render in ProRes 4444 (on a machine with both AE & FCP 7 installed), RGB+Alpha, Trillions of colors+, straight (not premultiplied) alpha channel, which is FCP's default alpha channel setting.

You can play with opacity & blending modes in FCP, and you probably don't need to render a big, long clip in AE. It's noise, so it's random, so you can repeat clips, set new ins & outs in FCP, run it backwards, what have you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Creating Grain for use in FCP?
by on Dec 10, 2011 at 9:15:11 am

I'd actually recommend that you open your FCP project in Premiere Pro and use Dynamic Link to apply and modify grain using the Match Grain effect. You'll never get the level of control you need to do this in a video editing app. It really needs AE's high end compositing features.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS9B0EC31B-E395-4ae6-BAB5-8CB9...

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Creating Grain for use in FCP?
by on Dec 10, 2011 at 6:25:57 pm

I agree with Angie that you will get the best results working everything in AE. That said, a good approach to this is to make a 50% grey solid, apply grain/noise to it until you're happy, render it to a high-resolution codec (like Animation or ProRes 444) then bring that into FCP and set it to the OVERLAY blend mode.

In Overlay, anything brighter than 50% grey will lighten the image, and anything darker than 50% grey will darken the image. Pure 50% grey does nothing. Your noise on the 50% grey will effectively lighten and darken your image with the graininess, and might be enough to get you through.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

andrew smithRe: Creating Grain for use in FCP?
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:08:30 am

i think i am doing something wrong because the grey solid is included in my render not just the grain with transparency - sorry i am super novice and could use a simple point a to b hand holding if anyone can elaborate?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:12:45 pm

Hello,
i know its annoying for me to ask this basic question but hey it IS the basic section right :)

I could just really use the help walking me thru from beginning to end steps - i want to add anywhere from 10-30% grain to some red footage short film project but in Resolve and/or FCP so i just need to get this out of AE properly and today.

Any help would be really awesome.
Thank you

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:52:16 pm

also should this be monochromatic?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:19:45 pm

can you explain this:

"In Overlay, anything brighter than 50% grey will lighten the image, and anything darker than 50% grey will darken the image. Pure 50% grey does nothing. Your noise on the 50% grey will effectively lighten and darken your image with the graininess, and might be enough to get you through."

In overlay mode its not just adding grain but also altering the grade itself - how am i meant to adjust this so that its just grain?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]