ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Targa Sequence Taking forever!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert S.  PughTarga Sequence Taking forever!
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:10:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm transferring a targa sequence from the hard drive on my mac to a memory stick. In order to put it onto our broadcast graphics machine.. The problem I'm having is the speed of the transfer between the hard drive and the memory stick I'm using.

Could it be the memory stick thats very slow? Or is it normal for targa sequences to take an age to transfer due to there being thousands of files/frames?

All the Best Rob

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Targa Sequence Taking forever!
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:29:51 pm

it's probably a data rate issue... targas are fat files, no compression, every pixel has a 32 bits of data even if 90% of them are transparent.

there are a few things that could effect the transfer speed, the main being the level of usb on the computer (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) and the level of usb on the stick. usb levels are backwards compatible, so a 1.0 stick will work on a 2.0 computer bus, but it will be limited to 1.0 speeds.

additionally, just because a stick is usb 2.0, doesn't mean that it can sustain the full data rate... if you search the web you can actually find benchmark for many thumb drives. they are not all created equal.

to a lesser degree, the same applies to the computer bus, but the differences between computer systems is less than that of usb drives.

you can probably increase performance by using a usb hard drive rather than a flash drive...

personally i'd consider yourself lucky, until recently we still had a couple devices that only had 3.5 inch floppies... with only 1.4mb capacity, to transfer an full raster sd targa that took one full disk... to transfer 15 slides with the new the new digital legal id's took 15 disks and a whole day.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Robert S.  PughRe: Targa Sequence Taking forever!
by on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:04:10 am

Thank you Kevin & Dave,

I appreciate your help! I've checked the USB level which is USB 2.0. I find it quite shocking that until recently machines were still running 3.5inch drives [I forgot these had ever existed].

With regard to the size of the targa sequences, they're approximately 1.17GB each it would take over 800 floppy disks. to make the transfer :) HA!.

The only other question I have. I use Magicsoft Texture converter on the PC in the gallery. It converts the files from Targa to DDS, of course this makes the files significantly smaller and easier to load on the graphics machines. Is there a texture convertor for mac that I can use to DDS the files?

For now the transfers will have to take forever.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Targa Sequence Taking forever!
by on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:21:51 pm

i don't know of any dds converters for mac... we had a similar issue with our old logomotion using mgi files that were converted from tga, and our converter was windows only too.

if the ds converter can run on any pc, then you might ask if it could be installed on a pc that's on your network. then you could transfer the larger tga files to that machine to convert to the smaller dds file that you could flash drive over to the broadcast device... that might save some time.

i guess it would come down to how often you need to update these and if there is an available pc. if it is often, then i think you could convince one of the engineering types their to install it on an extra pc.

one of the windows-on-mac options might also work (like parallels or the free virtualbox), of course you still need a version of windows to install.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Targa Sequence Taking forever!
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:45:40 pm

Yeah, thumb drives aren't very speedy, but they do have the overriding virtue of being extremely portable.
I recommend the following:

• Insert the thumb drive & open it to prepare to copy files onto it.
• Find the folder containing the files and drag it onto the thumb drive.
• Go to the men's room. Bring a magazine.
• Alternately, get a cup of coffee.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved