ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE & Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romeo RubioAE & Photoshop
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:41:07 am

I received a Photoshop document from someone. It contains a word and a vector smart object which acts as one of the letters in the word. I import it into AE. I right click on the "regular" letters and convert them to editable text. This allows me to apply animation presets. I can't do this to vector smart object. When I try, a warning pops up saying no compatible photoshop text data was found (52::0). If it is possible to turn everything into editable text, what would be the way to apply animation presets. The word is split by the vector image so there are letters in different layers. Do I just apply the same preset to everything and will it just understand what to do?

Also whats the best way to conform it to a 1920x1080 composition. I will be bringing this into Final Cut. Right now the composition settings says its a 2400x732 frame size. Do I just change the numbers to 1920x1080 and then resize and reposition the objects?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE & Photoshop
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:09:45 am

I'm not familiar with Smart Objects so I can't help you there. But to your second question. Highlight your composition or click on it's tab in the timeline window and press "cntl + K". Then select the 1080 preset that matches how you will be working in FCP, then resize and reposition your elements.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: AE & Photoshop #AfterEffects
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:57:41 am

Hi there,

Only actual Text layers can be converted into editable text in AE. As you've discovered it doesn't work on Smart objects as they are in essence, rendered layers that are linked to another file. Only solution would be to copy the text from the smart object source file and copy it into a new text layer. Or import the linked Smart Object PSD directly into AE and drop it into your comp as a nested comp.

Hope this helps!

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved