ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making an image look 8-bit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard CaliMaking an image look 8-bit
by on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:07:07 pm

I'm trying to make the figures in this image look 8-bit and seem like they're a boss from Mega Man 2.

The characters are supposed to look similar to the boss in this image and blend well with the background.

I'm clueless and have no idea if there is an effect or technique to achieve the desired look.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Making an image look 8-bit
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 2:53:42 am

Not sure about making it look exactly like that, but here's a free script that will give it a 1980's 8 bit look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Making an image look 8-bit #AfterEffects
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:09:44 am

Hmm, it may take a bit of work to get them looking like that as they are a completely different drawing style. You may need to redraw them using simpler shapes. However, you could try a couple of things. First of all use the Posterize effect to reduce the amount of Colors used. To give it a more "blocky" look. In the comp panel, go into the Resolution menu and change it to "Custom". Experiment by manually adjusting the numbers. This allows you to reduce the actual display resolution, so you can create the effect of these old computer games. However, the characters in those games were actually designed with the resolution in mind so yours may not work quite so well.

Anyway, once you've done this, in order to render it out this way, you need to make sure to render at current resolution. You also need to then go into the Output Module settings and use the Stretch options to force the comp size back to it's original size.

There is also the Mosaic effect but I never fins it looks as authentic as actually messing with the resolution settings.

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved