ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What COMP SETTING should I use

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vanessa MeagherWhat COMP SETTING should I use
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:37:58 am

I'm currently working on an animation for a film clip. My question is what comp settings should I use (ie widescreen, widescreen square, HDV, DVCpro, HDTV)?

Info of this project...
1) It is primarily a combo of greenscreened stop-motion & cut-out animation being animated in AE

2) I will be adding the occasional effect / plugin effects

3) It will mostly be viewed online (youtube/ vimeo). Once it's complete I will also consider entering into festivals/ music clip comps etc.

4) I have a macbook pro- Dual CPU, 8GB ram.

I often wonder which settings to use & when. I generally choosing one of HDs because you can always downsize form there but I am thinking this may be too much for my computer especially if it is unnecessary.

I wonder if there is a guide out there listing each settings & standard usage of each?

Thanks so much in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: What COMP SETTING should I use
by on Dec 2, 2011 at 1:18:00 pm

I really don't know of a guide, maybe others here can help with that. I've been doing this for quite some time now and the comp setting is and always has been "What is the highest quality deliverable?" If you are going to be entering this in festivals, I imagine you will probably need a 1280 x 720 at a minimun.

As you stated before it easier to scale down than the converse. If you are worried about your computer and new one is out of the question, try pre-rendering finished elements and replacing them into your project. You mention green screen footage, instead of keying it, adding effects, compositing it over the background, just key it and render it out with an alpha and reimport as a new asset(though save your original keyed work compin case you need to go back).

Another stategy I've used when computer power is an issue is to render to a "PNG"(lossless) sequences. If for some reason the computer can't make it through the entire sequence, I can just look at the last frame completed and start a new render from there. Then when I'm finished, I import the numbered "PNG" sequence, create a new comp and render that to my deliverable.

I'm sure some others can post some other stategies to get the most out of your computer. Good luck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved