ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Light flare behind text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Walsh
Light flare behind text
on Nov 30, 2011 at 2:29:00 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create a flare / light source that distorts the edges of the object it appears behind.

For example, I have some text on the top layer, then a flare on a solid layer underneath it, but the edges of the text retains it's hard edge.

I've attached images of what I'm trying to achieve

3344_before.jpg.zip
3345_after.jpg.zip

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Light flare behind text
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:03:33 pm

One method might be to create an adjustment layer above your text and add a blur and adjust it to taste. Then duplicate your lens flare, place it over the adjustment layer and then set the adjustment layers track matte to luma. Now when the bright spots of the lens flare move near the text, the text blurs. You could might also want to add a curves effect to your duplicate lens flare and really crush the blacks, so you only have the hot flare center and not the rings effecting the text.

Another option that also would use the adjusment layer would be to make a solid with a circular feathered mask(lens flare size) and use that as your luma/alpha matte. Then you could just alt-click your postion, use the pickwhip and tie the circle-solid to the flare center.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:58:42 pm

I made a quick little project and added another lens flare layer to affect the opacity of the text when the flare gets near. A quasi light-wrap effect.

3346_lensflaremattes.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Darren Walsh
on Dec 1, 2011 at 9:42:05 am

Thanks Johnny. That's a fairly easy way of doing it. I was hoping there was a really easy way, but I guess not.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]