ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Flashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Paige
Color Flashes
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:02:13 pm

Hi I'm just a curious mind and was wondering the best way to creative these colored effects and flashes used in these videos:

(you can see them to the left of the screen at 0:03)

http://www.fubiz.net/2011/11/02/rip-curl-mirage-experience/
(video is below all the images)

I'm not sure if these are just feathered solids or a plugin that was used to create these like Magic Bullet, or if there was another application.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be great help.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Color Flashes
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:23:14 pm

Looks like stock footage of damaged film layed over the video, perhaps with a transfer mode. Easy to recreate it, create solid and mask it and add a heavy feather. Drop it over the video and create a flicker to the opacity, 0 to 90 to 75 to 100 to 0 over just a few frames. Then mess with the transfer modes.

I did a quick google search for "Creating light leak film effects" and found some free downloadable leaks...might be easier than creating them from scratch. You have to scroll down the page a little, but there are 4 of them for free at 720p.

http://www.digitalcinemafoundry.com/2010/02/19/free-film-burns-exclusively-...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:26:59 pm

the effect is commonly called 'light leak'.. it mimics light leaking in to a camera body (or possibly at load/unload of film) and partially exposing the film.

if you search the web you'll find some tutorials or digitally re-creating this. also, many stock footage sites offer actual light leak footage that you can incorporate in your projects if you want something authentic.

for a place to get started in ae, i'd try fractal noise, cranking the scale way up and animating the evolutions or the offset, then use colorama (or maybe tritone) to colorize it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Robert Paige
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:03:22 pm

Thanks this really points me in the right direction!

Do you know if there is a plugin, besides trapcode, that I could use to help me speed up the process?

Return to posts index

Robert Paige
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:06:49 pm

Thanks this really points me in the right direction!

Do you know if there is a plugin, besides trapcode, that I could use to help me speed up the process?

Also what Fractal Type and Noise Type would you suggest using to get that effect?

Return to posts index

Sean Mullen
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:08:04 pm

Robert,

There is a product that does this in the Creative COW Master Tools Series. It's called FilmFX and you can find it here.

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]