ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

blurry viewport CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pozzer
blurry viewport CS6
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:16:44 pm

so i just noticed that CS6 is causing images and renders to be blurry, even at full quality settings. here is a cs6 screenshot...

(this jpg was downsampled a bit during upload it seems, so the differences are not as noticeable, but if you look closely at the render queue at the very bottom, and compare it to the render queue in the screenshot, you can see)

what i did was take a screenshot of the interface, with a jpg in the viewport, then loaded that screenshot BACK into AE as a jpg, dropping it into a 1920x1080 comp. so you can see the regular AE interface, nice and sharp on the left, and the blurry version on the right.

i got the sharp version to appear sharp by swithcing to DRAFT layer quality!!?? what the hell? whats causing this new behaviour in cs6 thats making everything so soft? i read another thread that it was related to openGL, but there is no way to disable openGL. someone else said just set it to 'final quality', which i did and it makes no difference. so at 100% view, final quality, best quality layer switch, i get a soft image.

can someone shed some light on this? its unacceptable and i need to move back to cs5 to get stuff done until its solved.

thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: blurry viewport CS6
on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:44:27 pm

This is not a CS5/CS6 issue -- your viewport settings just don't match.

One is set to full resolution and 100% zoom; the other is set to full resolution and 50% zoom. When the resolution and zoom don't match, you'll see aliasing in the viewport (but not in the render).

Set the viewport to Full/100% or Half/50% and you should be good to go.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Nov 1, 2012 at 1:45:03 pm

hi walter, thanks for the reply, but the 50% is not the issue. take another look at the posted jpg. you'll see the real render queue, at the bottom, then above, you will see the jpg screen shot of AE showing a render queue, and a jpg in the viewport (concrete and grass). the image in the viewport isnt the issue, so ignore the concrete/grass area.

look closely at the screen shot of the render queue, between the red line. look at the text (plainly obvious when you compare the 2 'active camera' buttons). you will see above 'blurry' the text is not sharp, and above 'crisp' it is sharp. youll also see that this screen shot is at 100%, and since its impossible to view the render queue at anything less than how its displayed on the screen, its is by default a 1:1 comparison showing the loss of jpg detail. its clearly visible in the text.

now if this is just how AE displays things, ok, but i dont think thats the case.

i did a bit more fiddling around yesterday and found that usualy as long as the image is equal to, or bigger, than the comp its going into, its fine. smaller and you get this blurring. i have no idea why this would be as long as no scaling is happening. as long as the comp is on 100%, full, final quality, the jpg should appear the same weather viewed in AE, PS, or windows photoviewer, regardless of its dimensions (unscaled) and thats not currently the case... at least not with the screenshot of a screenshot posted.

sorry is this is overly confusing. i can probably create a better example that isnt an endless screenshot tunnel of AE viewports, haha.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:09:12 pm

still testing...

even more strange, i took a screenshot of facebook in a firefox window. opened it in AE, blurry. maximized the firefox window so it was full screen, did another screenshot, opened that, and it looked fine.

i think tried a screenshot of my other screen in AE where i keep my timeline and layers. that window is always full screen. opened that back up, and it looked fine. compared to my originally posted image, my viewer and render queue are in a group of windows on my other screen and were not maximized to the full screen size, though pretty close. i dragged the edges of the window out as close as i could to match the screen size, did another screenshot, opened it back up, and it was fine. no blurry text.

this is even more confusing because what does the size of a window have to do with a screenshot OF that window. it should all just be 1:1 pixels saved as a jpg, and opened back up in AE, viewed 1:1 and look sharp. so why is that only happened when screenshots are taken of windows that are maximized?

id realy appreciate it if someone could replicate this issue for me... it only takes a second to do. then ill know if its me, or if its a windows thing, or an AE thing, or something!

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:24:46 pm

i think i figured it out...

i must have gotten UNlucky and picked a window size with an odd # of pixels in either dimension when i did a screen shot of my viewport window that contained the render queue, and the concrete/grass jpg.

i did a screenshot of my timeline, NONmaximized (so just floating above the desktop), opened it back up in AE and it was sharp, so i thought it cant be a window size issue, but then thought maybe its an odd/even pixel count issue. i checked in PS and the window just happened to ve 1880x1230. so i scaled that timeline window down by 1 pixel both ways so it became 1879x1229, screenshot, open in AE, and it was blurry. ive made another screenshot to show the difference...

its clearly visible here. i also marked where the AE viewport was so its not confused with what WASNT part of the screenshots.

so... why does a window being 1 pixel odd make a difference? i have no idea, but it seems it does. im HOPING this is the answer and the cause. id still like someone to try and replicate this for me.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:40:16 pm

even further testing tells me its the size of the image that matters. maybe this is some long known thing about AE that no one ever told me.

if i take 1 of my blurry screenshots (that was from a window with an odd size pixel dimension, (eg 1879x1229)) and paste it into a new doc in photoshop that is 1000x800 (arbitrary #s), save that and open it in AE, it looks fine. so why was it blurry in the original screenshot?

conversly, if i do the same thing but paste that seemingly blurry screenshot into a new PS doc that is 1001x801 (again, arbitrary, but +1 on both dimensions), save that and open it is AE, its looks blurry again.

so clearly the source, the original screenshot, is not the problem. its the dimensions of the image... the canvas size. if the original screenshot can look blurry in 1 version, and clear in the next and the only thing thats changed is 1 pixel in the DOCUMENT SIZE (the original source was NOT scaled), then its clearly how AE treats odd sized documents.

the lesson here is ALWAYS USED EVEN PIXEL DIMENSIONS IN AE!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:16:58 am

[Aaron Pozzer] "so clearly the source, the original screenshot, is not the problem. its the dimensions of the image... the canvas size. if the original screenshot can look blurry in 1 version, and clear in the next and the only thing thats changed is 1 pixel in the DOCUMENT SIZE (the original source was NOT scaled), then its clearly how AE treats odd sized documents.
the lesson here is ALWAYS USED EVEN PIXEL DIMENSIONS IN AE!"

Perhaps your issue is sub-pixel sampling, caused by a non-integer difference between the anchor and position properties of the layer.

See this thread for a more in-depth explanation:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1018350

If that's not it, can you post a couple more screenshots or maybe a small sample project showing the issue so I can get a better understanding of what you're seeing?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:09:20 pm

sure, lets call it subpixel sampling. whatever the term, or the problem, the screenshots illustrate the issue, and since im pretty sure i found the solution ill consider it solved to my satisfaction. though, its always good to have the link incase anyone else comes looking for answers to the same problem. thanks walter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]